We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers cheques

Moncton, NB
Level Contributor
155 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers cheques

If not comfortable carrying lots of cash, are travellers cheques easily cashed?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers cheques

Credit card , Debit and cash are the way to go IMO

We have not used a traveller's cheque in close to 20 yrs.

I did see a couple try to pay for a clothing purchase in a tshirt shop a little while ago....and the clerk was mystified.....calling a supervisor, 3 forms of ID etc .....Delayed all,those in line .

Seemed like a hassle .

Moncton, NB
Level Contributor
155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers cheques

As a Canadian am wondering if debit will work.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers cheques

I used debit card and cash last time I was there. Rather than pay fees at a debit machine I would get cash back each time I was at the grocery store or at the ABC store, that way I did not have to carry a lot of cash.

You guys are almost under 100 days, how exciting!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers cheques

We bring a few hundred US$ and use credit cards for most of our purchases and haven't needed to use an ATM for cash (for stays of 2+ weeks) I'm sure that debit cards issued by most banks and credit unions in Canada will work outside of the country, but you might want to inquire at your bank and also ask about fees. Agree with wanderlust, traveller's cheques have become an inconvenience both for the user and the receiver now that debit and credit cards are so widely accepted.

Calgary
Level Contributor
120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers cheques

Canadian debit cards work IF they are linked to a credit card. If they aren't, your debit card will work in very few places. It will work in Whalers General store, and, I think, in ABC stores. Cash and credit card!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers cheques

Nanner - just to clarify, debit cards will work at bank machines to withdraw cash as long as they are compatible - e.g. if you have the Plus symbol on your debit card, it should work at Bank of Hawaii ATM's.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers cheques

Hawaii is the only place I still use traveler's cheques. Crazy shirts won't take them. Everywhere else I went, did. I always had my driver's licence in my hand to speed up the process. Some wrote the number down, some didn't. They accepted them at Long's, Safeway, and once, on Waikiki Beach for a catamaran ride.

But the best way to go is to get a U. S. dollars credit card. I deal with TD bank, and I also have a U. S. savings account. That way, when the exchange rate is good, and I have some "extra" money, I can add it to the U. S. account for our next trip. And then I use the U. S. VISA credit card to buy things. No exchange rate, and no extra 2.5% charge on top of the exchange rate. I don't pay any annual fee for the U. S. VISA credit card though. It may not be worth it if you had to pay.

Our kids had trouble with their debit card from the TD in Waikiki. The clerk wouldn't even take it. We insisted that it would be fine, and she refused. "We don't take that kind". Lucky for her, my son had some cash left to pay for his lunch, otherwise she would have been stuck with the hot dog! Actually, I think it was more like, lucky for my son! I had warned him that trip that I was buying him his three main meals a day, not the ten snacks he had interspersed between breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Moncton, NB
Level Contributor
155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travellers cheques

Thank for your reply.....will check on a US visa

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travellers cheques

We do the same thing that Joan does - we have a U.S.$ savings account and a U.S. credit card with TD. Well worth it if you are a regular traveller to the U.S.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,839 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travellers cheques

Traveler's Cheques are not completely extinct ... but they are close. They are not as quick and easy to use, that's for sure.