We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching

Florida
Level Contributor
372 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching

I will be in Maui the first week in December. We really want to do a whale watch tour but most companies do not start there tours until December 15. Does anyone know of any tour companies that may start earlier in the season?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,117 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching

The whales will be trickling in in early Dec. so your best bet is to book a 2-fer. Either a snorkel cruise or a sunset sail will get you out on the water and offer your best chance of a whale encounter. And then if you don't see any whales at least you will have had fun outing.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching

If there's no dedicated whale watch, a morning snorkel trip to Molokini, or Honolua Bay would give you a good chance to see whales if they are out there.

We went on a Molokini trip in mid April one year - considered very late - and saw several whales. The crew stopped the boat to get a good view when they appeared.

I'm not sure which area, towards Molokini, or the channel to the north would be a better bet in Dec. but out on the water you'll see them if they are there.

Dave

Florida
Level Contributor
372 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching

Thanks Dave! That is a great tip

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching

Never been on their whale watch but here is some info

Whale sightings are guaranteed on all Pacific Whale Foundation whalewatches (from November 4 – May 15) or you go again free. We are proud of our 97% sighting .

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,925 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching

We don't usually recommend the whale watch boats from PWF. Of course they will guarantee it, how many people on vacation do you know that will take time out to go a second time? I'm willing to bet there are more that don't than do. Then after about the 1st of January it's a moot point anyway because I can guarantee you you will see a whale. The percentage of sighting will go drastically down the earlier and later in the season it gets.

I too recommend going out on some kind of boat tour in early December. More than likely if there is a whale out there you will see it.

Alberta
Level Contributor
386 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching

Just curious on why the "No" recommendation on PWF.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching

The Kaulana (Hawaii Ocean Project) will be starting whale watches from Lahaina Harbor mid-November (link below). My family and friends have enjoyed watching and photographing whales from this larger, stable catamaran for years. I believe ALL the WW companies guarantee sightings or next trip free, and msfuzz has explained how that works. Mamma0233's suggestion of a 2-fer is good too. Not a fan of PWF.

www.mauiprincess.com/maui_whale_watching.php

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching

I have mixed feeling about PWF as well but they seem to be the only ones that go that early. So if somebody wants to try early dec they seem to be the only game in town. Think another boat starts 12/1 but don't remember who it is

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Watching

<<The Kaulana (Hawaii Ocean Project) will be starting whale watches from Lahaina Harbor mid-November>>

John, perhaps you were thinking of this one?

Florida
Level Contributor
372 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale Watching

This is great info!!