We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay June 2014 for Honeymoon?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay June 2014 for Honeymoon?

My fiance and I have decided on Maui and Waikiki for our honeymoon, we are from Australia. Thinking 5 days in Maui and 7 in Waikiki. Travel dates would be approx 10th June to 22nd June 2014.

My questions are:

- Is this holiday season?

- Is 5 days enough on the island?

- What sort of $$ would we be looking at per night during this time?

- Suggestions on where to stay? Somewhere romantic, not too many kids, resort facilities, good food and restaurants, close beach access for swimming, stand up paddle boarding, outrigger and snorkeling etc.

- Should we hire a car?

- Where are the good restaurants and shopping on the island?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay June 2014 for Honeymoon?

You do need a car on Maui if you plan on seeing some of it's many wonders. Yes, it is high season for families visiting from the mainland so be prepared for kids where ever you decide to stay...they will be there.

Just me , but I would add a few days on Maui and enjoy the Aussie shopping on Waikiki.

Start by looking at the pricing at the Ritz in Kapalua..one of the ultimate honeymoon destinations in the summer.

Let us know if that's out of the ball-park and we will try to help!

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,069 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay June 2014 for Honeymoon?

Check out vrbo to get an idea of what the prices are like. You can plunk in your dates, and add some filters as well.

Do you want a condo with a bit more room, a kitchen too. You don't need to cook every night, just because there is a kitchen, but it can be nice for breakfasts, and making snacks. Lots of wonderful resorts to choose from as well.

Check out discounthawaiicarrental for a rental car. You don't prepay, and always recheck the rates, as they often go down. You have to be diligent to keep checking, especially when you get closer to the departure date. But some people have their rates drop as much as 600.00 from when they initially booked the car.

Restaurants are wonderful, and plentiful, in South Maui and West Maui. Do make use of the links on the right hand side of the page. They are in blue, and there is one about all the great restaurants on Maui. There is also one for "cheap eats" too.

You have picked a wonderful destination for honeymoon. Have a wonderful time!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay June 2014 for Honeymoon?

prices might go up a bit in summer but not the high season like Dec to April.

It all depends on your budget. You can go anywhere from $100 to $1000 per night.

A really nice condo might be anywhere from $200 to $500 per night

hotel $300 to $600.

I usually go to a web site like Expedia, plug in OGG for Maui's airport code and dates and it will bring up all that is available with prices, pictures and reviews. That will give you a feel for the market

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,022 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay June 2014 for Honeymoon?

+ Count your nights, not your days.

+ Split the nights 50/50.

+ No national holidays, but it is our summer - a VERY popular season for family vacations.

+ 5 NIGHTS should be the minimum on either Island. You need at least 10 nights for both.

+ Your nightly accomodations budget depends on where you want to stay. And only you can establish that nightly number. For a honeymoon, least $300 - $350 for Maui and $300 for Oahu. That may be low. Again, it depends on what you choose. And remember that there are taxes and sometimes resort fees. Parking fees may be extra as well.

+ We really can't recommend accomodations without your nightly accomodations budget - as the cost of facilities varies so much. You also need to determine whether you want to stay in West or South Maui. There are about a zillion posts about this tough choice.

+ You will need a car on Maui for sure, and you should reserve it as soon as you have your dates. On Oahu, many rent cars for the full time (I do) ... others rent on Waikiki for a few days to explore the Island. Either way - again reserve it.

+ You should start reading the Oahu and Maui Forums regularly. We talk about restaurants all the time. You'll find wonderful restaurants on Maui and Oahu. Best shopping in on Oahu in Honolulu.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
5. Re: Where to stay June 2014 for Honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 November 2013, 12:35
Level Contributor
37,613 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay June 2014 for Honeymoon?

Mama's Fish House is not to miss. We also loved Lahaina Grill in Lahaina. :).

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay June 2014 for Honeymoon?

Thank you for all the information!! It's so hard to decide where to stay when I know nothing about the island. Is there an area that you would recommend more then another?? Also would you recommend longer then 5 ngts in Maui??

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,451 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay June 2014 for Honeymoon?

I would swap the days; Maui is much larger than Oahu and you won't see it "all" even with 7 days. I would do Maui first-and then Oahu last. That way you won't be slogging your shopping finds around.

The Ritz is a great idea, and Honua Kai near Kaanapali might be a great choice too.

Rates will go up a lot by the third week of June. Contrary to some opinions, summer is our busiest time, every year.

Give us your budget per night, we can help more!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay June 2014 for Honeymoon?

It's the general summer holiday. It is before the 4th of July holiday.

Airfare, etc will be lower at the beginning of June than the end.

10. Re: Where to stay June 2014 for Honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:17