We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with choice for a side trip while on Maui

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Help with choice for a side trip while on Maui

We've got a Kihei condo booked for May, and I'm considering spending a night or two in a hotel while there.

My daughter will be five and loves pools so I have been thinking about maybe getting a room at GW but not sure if she will pass the height requirements for everything and am a bit scared of the huge crowds everyone refers to.

Have recently been wondering if a night or two in Hana (Travaasa?) might be enjoyable since we love quiet and nature, but also wonder if my daughter might get stir crazy.

Part of me dreads paying for a room at GW when I have a condo 10 minutes away, but part of me thinks the pool complex might be worth it.

Which way would you go in my situation?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with choice for a side trip while on Maui

Have you considered the Hyatt? She might like the animals and the pools there. I think she'd go nuts in Hana...........and that YOU would go nuts at the GW.

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with choice for a side trip while on Maui

LOL, you have my thoughts exactly!

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with choice for a side trip while on Maui

I think that if we wound up on the West side I would just get a day pass at the Westin rather than actually book a room anywhere but may be something to consider...

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with choice for a side trip while on Maui

It's Nick the Wonder Dog's crystal ball, he let me borrow it :-)

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with choice for a side trip while on Maui

I think if I had a five year old in Maui who loves nature, I would spend lots of time at the beach, at the Ocean Center, on a boat, in the I'ao Valley, etc. and wouldn't worry much about pools. But that's just me (and it's been a while since I had a five year old) :)

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with choice for a side trip while on Maui

It's a little weird. She loves the sea life but is a little freaked out about being in the the water when she knows there are creatures in it. This may just be something we need to push through, but somewhat reluctant to do that on vacation. Ah, parenthood!

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with choice for a side trip while on Maui

And MOC is most definitely on the list!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with choice for a side trip while on Maui

I agree with Almost...I found spending the extra money on doing days for the hotel to not be worth it. She won't know she is missing anything and I'd just want to end on a relaxing note.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with choice for a side trip while on Maui

May is low season, GW won't be crowded with kids. It is a lovely time to stay at GW, I assume the rates will be lower as well.

Their two big water slides have a height limit, the rest of their massive garden pools are open to smaller kids. My then 4 year-old was just short of the height limit to go down on the big slides, but she went on all the smaller slides, and loved doing the rope jump at the Tarzan pool.

I don't remember their exact height limit, maybe someone else can tell you.

My kids sure love GW, and we, parents do as well. YOU will most likely not go nuts at the GW, you will probably love it there too.

Take a break from condo vacation, enjoy two nights of resort life. I recommend staying at GW.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with choice for a side trip while on Maui

You might check with the GW. The main pool is under renovation and it closed. We just walked by it last week and looks like a lot of work still to be done. Might check completion date. A look at their prices will tell you where that is as well. the rooms are heavily discounted right now.