We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What have you lost while visiting Maui?

antioch
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
What have you lost while visiting Maui?

I've been pretty fortunate but my wife left a fancy watch on the rocks at Chings pond(RTH) and a bracelet to the mild boogie boarding waves at Little Beach. its wasn't so funny at the time but as time goes on its like a mini donation to the Hawaiian Gods???

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,039 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What have you lost while visiting Maui?

My sun glasses, to a rogue wave at Keawakapu Beach! I know my glasses are not alone out there either. I keep waiting for a trip report or a travel blog with a picture of a bunch of fishies, or honu wearing sunglasses!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What have you lost while visiting Maui?

Joan I once bought three pairs of sunglasses in a single trip. Fortunately mine are cheap, cheap, cheap. (for obvious reasons!)

California
Level Contributor
391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What have you lost while visiting Maui?

Yep, I have a pair of Maui Jim's floating out there somewhere too.

So convenient having the guy outside the Westin to sell me a new pair for full retail!

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,400 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What have you lost while visiting Maui?

True story, I once saw a dolphin in Florida playing with a pair of sunglasses. Tossing them in the air and bouncing them off his head! I think he was trying to put them on.

Well, OK, this wasn't in the ocean. It was in a pool at Sea World, but not part of any show. A tourist had dropped his glasses in and the dolphin sure did have some fun with them. (Now, that certainly doesn't make up for living your life as a captive. But then, dolphins do seem to know how to have fun!)

So Joan, I wonder if fishies, honu and dolphins are all out there waiting for us to lose our shades. B-)

PS- the only thing I've lost to Maui is my heart!

Edited: 12 November 2013, 01:30
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,867 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What have you lost while visiting Maui?

Teri...all those fishies and honu then swim up to Aulani and learn to sing! Sorry couldn't resist!

Only thing I've ever lost on Maui is any sense of time! Good-bye stress and pressure. Hubbie did lose a dive knife once.

I've gained much more than I've ever lost, family reconnections every year, and always such a sense of peace at the end of the day.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What have you lost while visiting Maui?

Sad to say I left my milk frother that I used to make Kona lattes at the Napili Kai in September. It only cost $5 though, my wife bought it at Ross don't you know :) she's got her eyes out for another one,

Dave

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What have you lost while visiting Maui?

I was going to say stress...but Mamma already said it. She said it best that we gain so much more.

I haven't really lost anything else. My husband did lose his sunglasses...but on a restaurant table.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,441 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What have you lost while visiting Maui?

Let's see, I have quite a list and some I can even write here :-0

1. My pride, as a 12 or so, thinking windsurfing would be easy to learn.

2. My lunch, the first time we drove to Hana when it was all one lane and mostly not paved.

3. My freedom for a week when I "sassed" an Aunty.

4. My dislike of fish (to eat) when I tried Opakapaka the first time at about 10. **My parents were sorry about this........it cost them more than burgers did.

5. My not strong, but THERE-fear of the ocean. I learned to respect it always, but I lost my fear by the time I was about 8.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What have you lost while visiting Maui?

A few camera lens caps and stuff.

OT: Since Teri started it (lol), one of the Hawai'i scientists told me about this amazing dolphin's experience recounted here (1st three paragraphs):

theguardian.com/science/…research.science

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
267 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What have you lost while visiting Maui?

My desire to vacation on any other island