We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lahaina vs Kihei

Florida
Level Contributor
372 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Lahaina vs Kihei

Hi everyone, we are coming to Maui for 5 days. Staying three nights at cousins house in Hana and two nights on the other side of Maui. For our other two nights trying to decide between Lahaina vs Kihei. Which town is more memorable with more to see and do. The two days we are there we will do a helicopter tour and a whale watching tour. We will have a car. I would like to stay on the beach if possible and not too expensive. Can someone give me the pros and cons of each place and what their favorite moderate price hotel is?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,736 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lahaina vs Kihei

I would try to stay where it will be most convenient for you for your tours. Have you decided which whale watching trip you'll do? Which day will you be doing the heli tour - just wondering if you'll do it on the day that you leave Hana, or on the day that you fly home ... or the day in between? (The heli port is next to the airport in Kahului.)

Edited: 13 November 2013, 02:28
Florida
Level Contributor
372 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lahaina vs Kihei

I haven't booked the heli tour yet, but I am thinking I will do it the day I arrive to maui from oahu since I will already be a the airport. I am open to suggestions on heli companies too!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,736 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lahaina vs Kihei

My recommendation is for Blue Hawaiian's West Maui and Molokai tour, on their Eco Star helicopter. Morning heli tours are usually better for clearer skies. Are you arriving from Oahu early in the day?

Back to your original question, I think Lahaina has more appeal as a town (vs. Kihei), but I wouldn't stay right in town, although some people enjoy it. The Pioneer Inn gets good reviews here on TA. For a beach setting, perhaps Kaanapali Beach Hotel (a few miles north of downtown Lahaina, on the beautiful stretch of Kaanapali beach.) If you are thinking of staying in S. Maui - perhaps Makena Beach and Golf Resort (also on a great beach.)

p.s. Just to add, if you let us know your approximate nightly hotel budget, we can make recommendations to fit your budget. Also, please let us know when you'll be visiting as that will make a difference in what you can get within a price range - e.g. $200 in May will go a lot further than $200 at Christmas :)

Edited: 13 November 2013, 03:29
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lahaina vs Kihei

Don't wait too long to leave Kahalui for Hana, or it may be dark before you reach Hana.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lahaina vs Kihei

Well Lahaina has more historical buildings and has the scenic Lahaina harbor for your whale watch.

I don't know your budget but for oceanfront I would look at maui Kaanapali Villas, Lahaina Shores or

Kaanapali Alii.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lahaina vs Kihei

First - what is your nightly budget? "Not too expensive" doesn't help us much.

Also - understand that Lahaina is a town with just a handful of places to stay. But - a little to the north is Ka'anapali, Napili ... on up to Kapalua ... and those locations often have a Lahaina address even though they are not in Lahaina. They share a zip code, I believe.

Anyway - lots of options north of Lahaina ...

Florida
Level Contributor
372 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lahaina vs Kihei

We are looking to spend about $200 a night. We are coming first week of December.

Florida
Level Contributor
372 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lahaina vs Kihei

We are looking to spend about $200 a night. We are coming first week of December. Also I have seen alot of people recommend the blue Hawaiian helicopter tours but they are alot more expensive than other companies. Do you know what the difference with them is?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lahaina vs Kihei

Kihei is a typical beach town. Full of restaurants shops, condo's and just a few hotels. The best hotels in this area are located in Wailea which is about a 5 minute drive from Kihei. I doubt you would find anything here on your budget. A bit further south is the home of the Makena Beach and Golf Resort which may be within your budget but a bit more isolated than you may want coming from Hana.

Kaanapali is a planned resort community full of hotels, condo's, restaurants and shops. This area is probably where you want to be. I personally wouldn't stay in the Napili or Kapalua areas in the winter months.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lahaina vs Kihei

Early December is low season. Your $200 may go further than you think! You could stay at the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei and be close to the Kamaole Beaches and Wailea -- and to OGG. You could also enjoy Lahaina Town from a hotel in Kaanapali -- or the small Lahaina Shores (with ocean view but no beach) right in Lahaina. I'd stay from Kahana on south in December. (Far north -- and Hana -- get more rain in winter.)