We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaanapali and turtles

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kaanapali and turtles

It's our second day here and the weather could not be better, just perfect. We've been snorkelling today but did not see any turtles. Which side of the black rock should we go or try elsewhere?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaanapali and turtles

I would try north of Black Rock....actually go up to in front of the Westin Villas which is north of the area known as Kahekili Beach. Fantastic snorkeling and I always see a lot of turtles there.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,355 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaanapali and turtles

If you go up to the North Villas you can "drift snorkel" down to Black Rock. Give it a shot, they've seen many turtles.

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaanapali and turtles

We were in Maui a couple weeks ago and we would snorkel with the turtles at Napili Bay. It was a highlight of my trip. Also, had a great breakfast at the Gazebo restaurant right there that overlooked the bay. Enjoy..

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaanapali and turtles

We snorkeled Kapalua Bay 2 weeks ago and there where a couple of big turtles in the same spot everyday. They were on the northside of the bay. Not sure if they will still be there but they looked comfortable and at home. The the big male looked to be about 100 years old, largest I have ever seen. Lots of reef fish, octopus, eels etc.. Haven't been there in years and I was very impressed. Parking can be tight.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaanapali and turtles

Saw them 100 yards south of Blackrock and right near the beach in Napili in June.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaanapali and turtles

wonder if it was the same one this guy was a monster?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaanapali and turtles

My brother saw the monster turtle at Black Rock. He compared it to the size of a Volkwagon, . . .

Napil Bay

Honokeana Cove.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kaanapali and turtles

If you can make to Napili, go to the Gazebo restaurant follow the path to the next cove Honokeana Bay, you'll see tons of turtles, here's a video I shot last month. I went there every morning at 8:00 and I was the only one there!!

http://youtu.be/HVD_7-Rmnno

Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kaanapali and turtles

I second Honokeana Bay but we found it a little difficult getting in and out.

Maryland
Level Contributor
123 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kaanapali and turtles

Kahekili Beach Park(Airport Beach) just to the north. We saw a huge turtle, and it was our favorite snorkeling beach in West Maui. It has faciliities, and you can sit on the beach or on the grass. We prefer the grass, as you don't have to clean the sand off of your stuff.