We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

News on New Rental Car Facility for Maui

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,858 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
News on New Rental Car Facility for Maui

bizjournals.com/pacific/…

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: News on New Rental Car Facility for Maui

Not sure how I feel about this. At first I thought, cool, a step up for OGG.

But what about the shuttle drivers? My dream retirement job - gone.

""The newspaper reports the project also includes a single-track electric tram system that will take passengers between the car rental facility and the baggage-claim area.""

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: News on New Rental Car Facility for Maui

It seems like spending money to fix a problem that isn't broken. I don't see this really making the Maui experience better, but smarter people than me are making the decisions, I'm sure.

Patrick1953, my dream retirement job is still out there. I want to be the guy driving one of the little boats at the Hilton Waikoloa Village, on Big Island. Boat follows a track, so all you have to do is Engine Goes On...Engine Goes Off...Help People Off Boat...Help People On Boat...Repeat.

I was so jealous of that guy!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: News on New Rental Car Facility for Maui

The story says construction is to begin in spring. (OK, maybe.) It will be completed in 18 months. (LOL, LOL)

I won't miss those busses. Love the trams at DFW.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,482 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: News on New Rental Car Facility for Maui

Lol.......I had my eye in that job Patrick. I would make a lousy server but I can talk a mile a minute! If they actually follow through and that fast.......wow, what a difference! Deb

Next to water
Level Contributor
298 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: News on New Rental Car Facility for Maui

What they need at that airport are better, cleaner, newer, cleaner, modern, cleaner bathrooms. The airport is also really long with no moving sidewalks and they seem to like to use the same gates so used gates are worn down and the lesser used gates look like they are clean and have no worn carpet.

And more security lines with a bigger clearance area with benches to put your stuff back on.

The rental car buses don't bother me. They are common in most airports. If anything it's really nice that the rental area is so close to the airport instead of being transported to BFE.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,492 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: News on New Rental Car Facility for Maui

Aloha,

The buses don't bother me, either. It's such a short ride anyway.

I've always found the drivers to be very nice.

<<<<<< "I don't see this really making the Maui experience better, but smarter people than me are making the decisions, I'm sure." >>>>>>

I doubt it ! They should read TA to find out what the public really wants.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: News on New Rental Car Facility for Maui

OK, i'm sure the tax payers on Maui and the state of Hawaii would love to pay for all that. Or perhaps add a few bucks onto your airline ticket. Hawaii is in the process of upgrading it's airport facilities. The new parking facility is part of that.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,492 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: News on New Rental Car Facility for Maui

I know the HNL parking fees were increased this year.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,858 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: News on New Rental Car Facility for Maui

Funding airport improvements is tricky - and often the money is the feds' ... sometimes with a local match (or not) and often with a tight (or very tight) timeframe. You just never know unless you're on the inside.

I talked with the Hertz staff in Honolulu a couple weeks ago - and HNL's new car rental facility is years away. Sounds like the other transit (train) plans have complicated the matter.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,492 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: News on New Rental Car Facility for Maui

There always seems to be new/increased airport facility fees regardless of who is funding.