We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkle Trip Excursion Recommended Options???

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkle Trip Excursion Recommended Options???

If I want to do a snorkel excursion on Maui, is it better to go to Molokini or one to Lanai? Which is the best snorkel option for best fish and coral viewing? Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkle Trip Excursion Recommended Options???

The Molokini trip us a fun trip to be out on the water. Very picturesque Usually one stop at Molokini then one stop off the south coast for turtles.

Personally think the actual snorkeling at Molokini is not that great but others think it is.

Lanai is a nice trip a longer boat ride. Did it a few years ago and it was good.

There is a 3rd option which is West Maui. They will do either Honolua Bay, Olowalu or some other westside spot.

Just did Olowalu 2 weeks ago and thought it was very good. Shallow water right on top of the reef plenty of turtles, coral and marine life. More fish than I have ever seen at Molokini. You don't usually see turtles at Molokini

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
909 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkle Trip Excursion Recommended Options???

We did the Trilogy a couple of years ago to Lanai and LOVED it!

We are heading back in December and are planning on taking the Ferry over to Lanai and snorkel at Hulopoe Bay. The ferry drops you off and it is a short 5 minute walk to the Bay. Best snorkeling ever!!

The Ferry is $60 round tip. The only downside is you have to "lug" your stuff, but oh, so worth it!

gohawaii.com/lanai/…hulopoe-bay

http://www.go-lanai.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkle Trip Excursion Recommended Options???

Trilogy is a lot of fun.

check it out:

http://sailtrilogy.com/

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,555 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkle Trip Excursion Recommended Options???

Where are you staying?

You realize that you don't have to go all the way to Lanai or Molokini, yes? There are shorter snorkel sails as well. I highly, highly recommend Trilogy. The West Maui options John mentioned above are excellent.

New England
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkle Trip Excursion Recommended Options???

John, what company did you go with to Olowalu? Thanks

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,418 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkle Trip Excursion Recommended Options???

Snorkel conditions will depend mainly on what time of year you go. I've been out to Lanai to snorkel 3 times and unfortunately the conditions were poor each time. Just my luck I guess!! The winter months is when you should find good snorkeling on Lanai. Honolua can be rough in winter. Just make sure the company you go with has a good cancellation policy and/or a good planB. Most do.

Try either Paragon or Trilogy for Lanai. All boats that go to Molokini will leave from south Maui.

Both and west Maui have great snorkeling from shore but again will be condition dependent. I happen to love snorkeling Molokini which has the clearest water anywhere in Maui county.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkle Trip Excursion Recommended Options???

Teralani. They pick you up on the beach in Kaanapli in front of Whalers Village at 10:30 am 3.5 hr trip. They have a website. It is a big catamaran nice big below deck cabin, rest rooms, nice cold cut lunch. Kids 5 and under are free. Gemini also does the same trip from the same place. Holds 49 people we had 28.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,555 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkle Trip Excursion Recommended Options???

Trilogy also picks up up on Ka'anapali - in front the of Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. For the West Maui snorkel sails, the captain determines the best spot for that day and takes you there ... and we've had great conditions in December ... even in Honolua Bay. One of the things that impressed me is that they have an early morning sail that gets you to the prime spots before the other boats. We had Honolulu Bay to ourselves for an hour at least before the other cats showed up.

Willow Grove...
Level Contributor
104 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkle Trip Excursion Recommended Options???

I'd personally choose Trilogy's Ka'anapali snorkel if they're going to Honolua Bay that day. You'll see an absolute ton of wildlife (I left with nearly 500 underwater photos), and the sail back is terrific.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkle Trip Excursion Recommended Options???

The boats that go to Molokini and Lanai go to those places everyday almost without fail. The west side snorkel boats have several close spots to go to and may not make the decision until the morning they sail after evaluating the conditions.ie wind, surf, currents etc. For example Teralani advertises Honulua Bay, but the surf was up that day so we went to Olowalu.. Still great