We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fish markets

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
fish markets

I have posted a question previously about farmers markets and I think I am good to go there- but no information of fish markets- specifically about getting fresh fish to cook in condo. The fish market maui website looks as if it has been hacked/or loaded with malware and the link I got from a previous and similar question here on TA will not let me access and gives the same sort of "danger- warning" thing when I go to fishmarketmaui.com

I just want to know where I can buy a variety of fresh fish- same day catch if possible. I'm not snooty about that- just NEVER get this anywhere here at home and it is something I seek out whenever I am near the ocean- no matter which one it is :)

are there fishermen on a wharf that sell their catch of the day? any local fresh fish markets I can be directed to?

I did get some fish (Opah, Ahi, Mahi Mahi) at costco before and it was wonderful, but a later purchase was even better from the local fish market on another island so wanted to do the same if possible here.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fish markets

Yep..their site must have been messed with because I see a warning now.

This will be close to Napili...it is between Kaanapali and Napili

Fish Market Maui

3600 Lower Honoapiilani Rd, Lahaina, HI

(808) 665-9895

Monday 11:00 am – 7:00 pm

Tuesday 11:00 am – 7:00 pm

Wednesday 11:00 am – 7:00 pm

Thursday 11:00 am – 7:00 pm

Friday 11:00 am – 7:00 pm

Saturday 11:00 am – 7:00 pm

Sunday 11:00 am – 7:00 pm

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fish markets

We have gotten nice fresh fish at that Fish Market in Honokowai, but the best is what we get at Lahaina Harbor after whale watching. The fishing boats are directly across from the Courthouse.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fish markets

Here's a link to google maps with the Fish Market shown - it's just a short distance south of the Farmer's Market store in Honokowai, and on the same side of the street: http://goo.gl/maps/kSCII (I got the same warning when I tried to access their website.)

Last month we stopped in at the fish market but were a bit reluctant to pay $20+/lb. for Ono, so we went to Times to see what they had, and they had Ono (fresh/same day catch per the label) for half the price (regular price was $14 but on sale for $11/lb.) It was excellent. Foodland Farms (Lahaina) also has excellent quality fresh fish (they have a fish counter where you can select type & quantity, whereas Tmes only has packaged fish.)

We love the varieties of fish that we can get on Maui that aren't available to us here!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fish markets

the islands have by far the BEST forums ever!!!! only 8 minutes and I have 3 outstanding and very helpful replies?!?!

I forgot to mention that we are in Kihei for 7 nights and Napali for an additional 4- so this one up there looks really spot on for us during that part.

great tip for Times and Foodland- guess i should not discount the regular stores either- didn't even think of that, honestly... makes sense that they would have local fresh fish also! :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,408 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fish markets

There is also a place right in Kihei called Eskimo Candy. Foodland will get you great fresh poke.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fish markets

The Fish Market in Honokowai is owned by a fisherman. He is next door to a family run fishing supply store. Free parking available.

The Fish market staff are knowledgeable about seasoning and preparations for the different fish.

The availability of fish at the Lahaina harbor has dropped because the boats usually presell the fish by phoning a restaurant before they get back to the harbor. It is wonderful when the restaurants have enough fish and then the fishermen sell it on the dock. Generally the boats get back to the dock around 11am, 1:00 or 4:00pm. It sells in a matter of minutes.

7. Re: fish markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 05:17