We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--Selling to New Owners

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
50,994 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--Selling to New Owners

I'm sorry to see this, since this has been a wonderful example of a local company that worked really hard and stayed successful. But--glad for the owners as they deserve retirement, too! Here's hoping that Air Methods doesn't break what doesn't need fixing!

denverpost.com/business/ci_24546431/denvers-…

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,004 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--Selling to New Owners

Agree SW. Have used them several times and they are a great company. Hope they continue to do a great job!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--Selling to New Owners

Never been a fan of the helicopter tours. According to the NTSB, one major company from 2000-2011 has had 5 crashes and 12 fatalities. To me that is a lot considering they only fly in the best of weather and only during daylight and do the same thing over and over. I would be happier if they had many years in a row accident free rather than having something go wrong every couple of years. But that's just me.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,004 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--Selling to New Owners

Actually...to not be misleading...the fatalities were in 2000 and not again until 2011. The one in 2011 was not the best of weather over on Molokai.

Just like anything, people need to read the facts and make up their own minds. I know many people have enjoyed these tours. And....still many more traffic deaths than helicopter deaths.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--Selling to New Owners

yup that is my point but from my view 5 accidents in that period of time and people did suffer minor injuries in the non fatal accidents is a lot, much more than the aviation industry in general. Think if those numbers applied to a major airline and they fly a lot more hours in much harsher conditions. Again not saying people shouldn't go, we don't, but people are well advised to look at the facts as well.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,985 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--Selling to New Owners

sw - thanks for posting this info. I too am sorry to see this change - we've been very impressed with BH for the tours that we've been on, but certainly understand their decision to sell. Congrats to them on running such a successful business and providing their clients with amazing tours! Hope that the new company provides the same great service.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--Selling to New Owners

Having flown twice with BH in the past 14 months, I am a total fan of their company and quite impressed with their company and the two pilots we had for our two tours. I wish the owners much happiness in their retirement and have high hopes for the same good track record in customer service and safety, going forward in the future.

John........have you ever personally flown with Blue Hawaiian or are you just talking statistics without ever personally experiencing their tours? You seem to have a deep fascination with statistics. I am more concerned with being in a car accident myself, considering I am in a car every day. Helicopters tours do not concern me so much. Deb

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
181 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--Selling to New Owners

For as long as I live, I will never forget that heart-stopping thrill I felt when taking off on my first Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour on Kauai...and the excitement, beauty and fun during the entire experience. Blue Hawaiian is a first class company and I am so glad I chose to do the excursion. Could I have died doing it? Sure, but I could also die driving to work each morning. Bad things happen unfortunately...but you've got to live and experience what interests you in life. I've told my husband and kids not to be sad if I die doing something I like, for example, snorkeling...as it means I was living life to the fullest. We all gotta go sometime and I plan on going out having fun and not sitting in my house scared. I'm not going to be careless and I follow all precautions...congrats and best wishes to the Blue Hawaiian family.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--Selling to New Owners

Amen Barb. Deb

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--Selling to New Owners

That is a shame. Though everybody deserves to retire. We got married on Maui. Flew BH to Hana and back and was fortunate enough to fly several more times over the years.

Top notch operation. I was never scared/but thrilled several times

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
50,994 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--Selling to New Owners

Goodness.........I post a piece of news and it turns into a debate that is unrelated to my post! Maybe next time I post about a restaurant closing somebody will come dig up all the stats on that place!