We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals using Priceline

toronto
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car rentals using Priceline

DH and I rented convertibles on Maui and Kaui using Priceline Name Your Own Price (after first having a back-up rental in place which we checked frequently until 2 weeks before our trip). This was in May of 2010. They accepted our bid of $20 a day. Has anyone booked their car this way recently and what price was accepted? We will be visiting Hawaii soon (not soon enough!) and would love to try Priceline again.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rentals using Priceline

When I've rented a convertible on island, the majority of my bookings have been via NYOP. I believe I won a 12-night rental for $16/d, but the fees were much less back then -- last time they were ~67% of bid price, so a $20/d bid ends up being $33 & change daily, which is still far better than my usual Costcotravel booking engine, or the price DiscountHawaii quotes for topless vehicles..

I keep wondering if/when Priceline'll negotiate a deal to include notoriously pricey Harley rentals in the NYOP program! ;)

Alo)(a, NKO

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rentals using Priceline

I have used Discount Hawaii Car Rentals several times, with great prices each time - maybe look into their rates for your trip. This time, however, I found an awesome deal on a Convertible - $448 through Costco Travel/Alamo for 2-weeks in January. I would avoid websites like Priceline and Hotwire simply because I don't like to pay in advance. I also like Costco and DHCC's relaxed cancellation policy, in case a better deal comes up. If you lock yourself into a price and pay upfront, there's no way to find better deals down the road (pardon the pun).

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rentals using Priceline

The OP's post references Priceline's "name your own price" option, which DOES require advance payment ... but we're talking about attempting to place "bids" for sub-$20/day here on a premium, specialty vehicle. I too use Costcotravel the majority of the time, but their pricing on specialty vehicles such as convertibles or SUV's has always been fairly out of line, same goes for DHCR.

Once in awhile I elect to go topless (pun intended, ;) & haven't found any viable resource to top the rates I've 'won' via NYOP. Additionally, I usually wait 'til the last minute to start making bids -- you can only place ONE bid per 24-hr period in the same vehicle category, so one needs to plan accordingly. Last few I've won have been several days before departure. As indicated, I don't mind the advance pay/no cancellation when I'm booking a convertible for $16bucks/day, when the same category vehicle is running $50+/day via Costcotravel &/or DHCR.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rentals using Priceline

Priceline's NYOP option is all based on projected available inventory at the time you are requesting the rental. The rental agencies would much prefer to have a car out at a deeply discounted rate than sitting on its lot unused. So you are not going to get the best price when making an offer many weeks in advance. Your best discounts will occur within two weeks of your pick up date. Peak travel times like the Christmas Holidays, February/March Whale season, and the summer family travel times are tough to get deep discounts. The agencies sometimes run short on cars during those times so they don't need to discount. But during slower travel times discounts of 45% to 60% off the best advertised rates (or more) can often be had.

Best bet is to reserve what you want on a cancelable reservation so you are sure you have something and then start working the NYOP option a couple of weeks out from your arrival. Good Luck.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rentals using Priceline

We have used Priceline to rent on Oahu. I usually try a low offer first like $14. Then I stop bidding. Usually they contact me and offer it for around $18. We want a small car and have no interest in getting any free upgrade to a SUV.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rentals using Priceline

I won a compact for $7bucks/day in May last year -- two nights before departure. Total (w/taxes/ fees) came to just under $12bucks/day.. Thankfully, I do all the driving on island, or the extra driver fee would have negated any savings. Although, on my last trip, Avis' desk agent corroborated that if the renter is living with another party, said party is automatically contractually permitted to drive the vehicle under the cohabitant's name. Sounded fishy, but since it didn't apply....I didn't further investigate the legalities &/or viability of this scenario..

Where's "Wanderlust(?)" ;)

7. Re: Car rentals using Priceline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 06:19