We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation insurance

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vacation insurance

I know this is probably not the right place for this post but I couldn't find a better one.

What are your suggestions for vacation insurance? We will be traveling in the late winter months and I would hate for a snow storm, which shuts us down every time, to cost me a lot of money.

I know its a fairly small amount compared to the total we will be paying but I have never used any of them. Is one better than the others?

Thanks.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,428 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation insurance

Hawaiian Air offers us fairly cheap insurance on our flights, which I always buy. Have you checked with your carrier?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation insurance

We used squaremouth.com. It lets you compare between many companies and get the plan that covers only what you need. Check it out. Good site. They sell all the major brands.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,781 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation insurance

Aloha,

Determine what you need to have covered by ins. and what may already be covered by existing policies.

travelinsurancereview.net/travel-insurance-1…

nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/…

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation insurance

As for better or worse, haven't used many BUT I was with my parents on a European trip a few years ago and we got stuck because of the volcano in Iceland. They had insurance from Travelex and they were great. Reimbursed everything..addl parking fees, extra days for boarding pets, etc. Plus hotels, food etc.

Hey maybe you'll get stuck IN Hawaii..

Much better option!

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
419 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation insurance

My final payment for our trip at the end of December was just due, and I just purchased $4200 in coverage from Travelguard for $64.00. This way, I have flight, condo, car rental, etc coverage. Should we have to cancel, go home early due to an emergency, our luggage be lost, etc., I will not lose nothing (financially speaking). In 2011, 2 days prior to our departure for a family cruise, I found myself in emergency surgery. Thankfully, I had trip insurance, and other than cost of insurance, received every penny back.

This is the way I determine if I will buy insurance: once it is non-refundable amount, would I be comfortable walking away from the money? If the answer is no, I will buy insurance. If it is a quick driving trip, and I am just looking at a hotel, I don't insure. Flights, non-refundable condos, etc. I buy insurance, but your mileage may vary. Insure my trip is a great site to compare coverage & costs. Wishing you smooth & safe travels!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation insurance

I have used TravelGuard. We had to make a claim once as something came up for work and they refunded us everything well over $4000 no problem.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation insurance

I always buy trip insurance...also with travelguard...cuz you just never know....

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,777 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation insurance

When I use my TD VISA travel infinite credit card to pay for my flight, we are automatically covered. For trip cancellation, trip interruption, lost baggage, rental car insurance, and even medical. Of course, reading the fine print is important for ALL situations.

We live on an Island, and most of our flights originate in Vancouver. Even if the ferry is delayed, or breaks down, and we miss the flight, we are still covered. It hasn't happened to us, but we know a few people who missed flights because they couldn't get off Vancouver Island.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,059 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation insurance

Well - the first thing you do is determine what is cancellable (is that a word?). What can you cancel without penalty. If you can cancel your car/hotel, etc without penalty - then you may not want to buy insurance to cover it ... if inclement weather is your concern. If you have a condo or other vacation rental - for sure I would buy insurance.

What you probably will be able to do cheaply is insure your flights when making them. I'm seeing many airlines offering cheap flight insurance.

The only time I insure a trip ... is for cruises - because you can't cancel at the last minute. I've used TravelGuard for 10 years - and highly recommend them for prompt payment and flexbility. You can pick and choose what you want to cover.

Another reason to insure is if you want extra health insurance, especially for medical transport to home. Again, I only use this extra super coverage for cruises - but it's applicable for any type of travel, really.

Keep in mind that the closer to your travel dates ... the higher the cost of travel insurance. So it you want to buy it, don't dally.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation insurance

I have never purchased it until this recent trip to Maui for next August- only $61 for both of us and it is because we are purchasing without being able to get the time off until 6 mos ahead of time at work. I was surprised at the things they cover and for the cost I will sleep better until I get the OK for PTO being OKd for that. Money well spent here IMO. I have never bought tickets this far out so am sure this would have been a worry- but now...POOF! :)