We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really Special Romantic Experience??

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
736 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Really Special Romantic Experience??

I just did a search on romantic things to do in Maui and none of them really wowed me so I'm asking here.

My husband and I will be in Maui the first week of December and are staying at the Ritz. I'd like to do something special to surprise him. We like good food but I'm not looking for a romantic restaurant. Snorkelling is not a priority but we like boats. I'd like to spend less than $1000usd but if the experience was going to blow us away I'd spend more.

Thanks in advance

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really Special Romantic Experience??

Our favorite romantic thing to do?

Sit on the lanai in the morning and talk to each other about what we might do that day as we have a cup of island coffee and watch the island wake up for the day.

This is followed closely by sit on the lanai in the late afternoon and watch THE best sunsets you will ever see while talking to each other about what we did do that day and sipping on an adult beverage.

I realize this is not for everyone however we do not get many chances to actually be alone and just talk to each other.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 12:47
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really Special Romantic Experience??

One of the most romantic times the dh and I had on Maui was going to the beach with a picnic brunch and a bottle of champaign. Since it is actually illegal to drink alcohol on the beach, you need to be very discreet!!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really Special Romantic Experience??

Does the Ritz do private sunset dinners? Hubbie surprised me with one for our 30th anniversary at the Westin...private cabana, our own waiter, great food and wine. Ahhh it was a wonderful evening!

4. Re: Really Special Romantic Experience??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 November 2013, 21:05
Idaho
Level Contributor
101 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really Special Romantic Experience??

Four Seasons at Wailea does a BEAUTIFUL sunset private dinner on the beach. You get to meet with the chef privately and discuss your meal. What you like, dislike, etc and he will make it happen....Its AMAZING!!!!! You can call the Four Seasons and they will send you info on it!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
736 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Really Special Romantic Experience??

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope there will be some others.

We love Four Seasons and stay often with them around the world. This time our agent sent us to the Ritz for the more secluded location. I don't think that we would drive there for dinner even if it were on the beach.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Really Special Romantic Experience??

Romantic is in the eye of the beholder. I'd opt for a blanket on the beach at sunset.

Note that the beach is a walk down from the Ritz ... and that December may be a bit windy and rainy. Ka'anapali is not far, and the beach at the Sheraton Maui is wonderfully quiet at night - given it is blocked by Black Rock.

Here is a website that will give you aerial views. hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Really Special Romantic Experience??

How about a heli tour and lunch at Mama's in Paia afterwards. Perhaps not all that romantic, but special - and should come in at under $1000.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
891 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Really Special Romantic Experience??

msfuzz, it is not necessarily illegal to drink on the beach on Maui. Basically if it is a state beach park it is illegal, if it is county it is generally legal, except for a few specific places where there have been chronic problems like charley young, cove and kalama park. That said I have never seen anyone, at any beach - state or county - get hassled by the police unless they were doing something else wrong, or if they were at a beach where it has been specifically banned.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,616 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Really Special Romantic Experience??

Blue Hawaiian has a helicopter tour that features a stop at an "exclusive" spot at Ulupalakua Ranch ... you have refreshments there ... not sure what else. But if you could book that for just the two of you and your refreshments were champagne and chocolate covered strawberries -- or a picnic -- or whatever suits your fancy, that might be romantic.