We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay ... too many choices!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay ... too many choices!

Couple, age ~55, 25th anniv (actually 26th, had to get daughter into college last year!)... coming for 7 days.

- Really want ocean front view for whales...

- washer & dryer in unit

- Nightlife - not so much.

- Cooking - breakfast only, better half says no cooking!

- Will be doing 'the usual' activities one can fit in that time (though snorkeling may be a challenge for this non-swimmer)

Unsure which part of island to stay - have been concentrating my search on the west side, is that best for whales/turtles/etc.? I know it is additional driving, hopefully not that much more for Haleakala Crater, hana, etc.

Nightly budget... wanted to stay well under $300, but i can be flexible...

thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay ... too many choices!

As far a west vs south not really sure it is conclusive about whale concentration. I know 2 captains of our dive boat who have captained whale watching boats for years and still do and they believe that there are more on the west side. This past March we stayed south and there was less whale activity then when we went over to the west side. But that is not gospel and we saw plenty. Plus you are coming in 7 days and that is early for whales. So I would take the best accommodations that fit your needs and budget. I find the easiest way to get a feel for accommodations for anyplace is to use a travel search engine, say Expedia.

Plug in you dates, Maui's airport code (OGG) and then sort by price. You will get a list with pictures and reviews from hundreds of people who have actually stayed there. You can go to Google Maps and even get a satellite picture of the property and its surroundings. You can come back to TA and read reviews there and also ask on this forum if anyone has stayed at a particular property or has any personal knowledge. I always like to narrow things down with my personal research and then mix in what others have to say.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay ... too many choices!

thanks; visit planned for March, for 7 days. I wasn't clear on that. Really looking for good recommendations; i'm doing the vrbo search & TA of course. Getting it narrowed down... slowly

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,260 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay ... too many choices!

Plug your dates into www.chasenrainbows.com for some sample condo pricing on the west side. When are you planning to travel?

Consider the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, The Whaler, Maui Kai and Mahana...Maui Kai and Mahana offer killer oceanfront views for whale watching but no real beach.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay ... too many choices!

Welcome to TripAdvisor!

When are you coming?? Jan/Feb/Mar 2014??

Always count your nights, not your days.

Choose where, generally, you want to stay. For whale watching, I think the west side of Maui can't be beat. The whales love hanging out in the channel between Maui and Lanai.

Staying in West Maui can add another 15 minutes or so on your drive to Halekala or the Road to Hana. Not a deal-breaker for me. Understand that South Maui isn't that much closer, actually -- as no matter where you stay, you have to go through Kahului to get to Halekala/RTH.

If you are coming during the first quarter of 2014 - reserve your car pronto. Maui can, and does, run out of rental cars. And book that condo now, too. You're actually a bit late with your planning.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay ... too many choices!

If it is in March you will be at the height of the season for prices and whales. I would pick the best place to stay that fits you needs. You will see whales galore from all over.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay ... too many choices!

Whales are all over the waters of Maui. One side having more of a concentration of them is pure myth. Also look in Kihei in south Maui. You are a bit late in the booking stage for March so don't be too picky at this point.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay ... too many choices!

"Although humpbacks can be spotted across all of the Hawaiian Islands, one of the best viewing spots in the world is the shallow Auau Channel between West Maui (Lahaina and Kaanapali), Lanai and Molokai"

I am no expert but this is what I have understood as the waters here are more shallow and the neighbor islands offer protection and as you go further south you open more towards the ocean. That is what I have read in several places and been told but 2 guys who have captained whale watching boats for over 20 years.

The moms like the protection for their newborns and the males like the mom. But hey it's not critical just information. There is probably something out there that says the opposite.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay ... too many choices!

This is true John. It's ONE of the best places. Maalaea Bay is also where most of the mothers calf. The best "whale show" I ever saw was about 50 yds off the shore of Big Beach in Makena. Exhibited most aspects of whale behavior for a solid hour!!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,065 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay ... too many choices!

Agree- book your car quickly, but don't pre-pay. Keep looking back for better prices. Try discounthawaiicarrental.com for great prices- they deal with all the major rental companies.

I am staying up in Kapalua for 20 nights this March...can't wait! So many whales to be seen! Last year we could just sit on Kaanapali beach and watch the whales as well as from our lanai. Mamma gave you a great website. Look in Kahana and Honokowai...a lot of great little places right on the water. When you find a couple specific places, come back and ask us about them to see if we know them.

10. Re: where to stay ... too many choices!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 November 2013, 19:35