We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers too maui

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
first timers too maui

First timers too maui planning on going next oct- nov where is a good place too stay for 2 people mid 50s that like too do the tourist stuff can someone please help me

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timers too maui

Yep - head down to the local bookstore and pick up a good travel guide book for Maui ... and a good map of Maui. Amazon.com is another good source.

Read the "Top Questions" on the right-hand side of this screen.

Start reading the Maui Forum regularly.

Figure out how many nights you will be there.

Determine where on Maui you would like to stay - and your nightly accomodations budget.

Reserve a car for pick-up at the airport.

Start a rough itinerary based on what you learn ... and what you like to do.

Feel free to come back to us with more specific questions, your draft itinerary and your nightly budget ... and we can help you with details.

Not too early to start your homework ... so enjoy.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first timers too maui

Google Maps is a good place to start. Just type in Maui and you will get a satellite picture of the entire island and it is interactive. You can zoom in and out and move it around.

Condos can be from $100 to $1000 per night

Hotels from say $250 to $1000 per night.

A travel web site like Expedia will give you an idea of what is available. Pix, reviews and prices

There are several different areas to stay. All kinds of activities

Might want to think about condo vs hotel

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timers too maui

Go to the library before you buy any books! I like Lonely Planet.

And if you are a Costco member, check them for a rental car. You will want a car on Maui for sure. DiscountHawaiiCarRental is another option for a car.

Most people stay in West Maui or South Maui. There are pros and cons to both sides, but if it is your first visit, it doesn't really matter which side you choose. Nothing is very far on Maui.

I always prefer a condo. You just have more room to spread out, and some of them even have a washer/dryer in the unit. You get a full kitchen as well, and they are very handy for breakfasts and making picnic lunches. You don't have to cook just because there is a kitchen!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timers too maui

What kind of climate would you prefer. Rain forest, desert , wind, cooler?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timers too maui

We were there for the last two weeks in October this year ... what a great time to go for warm weather and warm ocean temps! It's also when prices are at their lowest for accommodations (unless you go during US Thanksgiving.)

If you let us know your approximate budget per night and whether you'd like a hotel or condo, we can make some specific suggestions.

New England
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timers too maui

I usually love Frommer's guides . They are my go to books. After getting that one and then checking out the Lonely Planet. I like the Lonely Planet much better. I agree check them out of the library first and then decide which one you want.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 15:29
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timers too maui

I also like Lonely Planet and another good one is Moon Guides Maui and they are finally coming out with a new edition in March 2014 the last one was in 2007.

We like a condo on Maui too love the space and ability to have breakfast in on the lanai or even grill out if we want. I think you get a lot more for your money in a condo on Maui.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timers too maui

Take the Road to Hana tour with Valley Isle Excursions. My husband and I,in our 50's did this 2 years ago and it was a wonderful day....beautiful scenery,breakfast and lunch included and your driver will give lots of info about Maui.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: first timers too maui

October is a great time to go. We usually go then and the weather has always been hot and sunny.

We are in our 50's and we like the condo better than the hotel. We have always stayed in a condo as there is more space, we love the kitchen for some of our meals or to bbq on the grill. We get very tired of eating out all the time.

There is so much to do and see on Maui that your best bet is as suggested above get a book and see what things you might like to do. Then come back and ask some specific questions on activities that catch your eye. The RTH is beautiful and we also took the Valley Isle tour which was great.

You will be amazed by looking at the book of the things to see and do. One other thing I might mention that is good if you are into shows is the Warren and Annabelle Magic show. It is much more than a magic show it is great. You can google it.

If you know what you want to do and once you have your dates and car booked it is always a good idea to book activities ahead of time especially the Luau's.

Have fun preparing for your trip.

Cheryl

10. Re: first timers too maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17