We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have I planned to much for our stay in Maui?

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
Have I planned to much for our stay in Maui?

My husband, 22 year old daughter and I will arrive in Maui at 9:00 a.m.on 12/27/13! We will be flying in from the "Big Island". We will be staying in the Kaanapali area for 8 nights and I just want to make sure that I have not "overbooked" ourselves. This becomes tricky when you are trying to make reservations and do the activities that have been requested...

I have tried to keep open days to spend on the beach and to just explore and enjoy what the island has to offer!

Here is what we have so far:

Day 1 - Arriving at 9 am, going to Safeway to get a small amount of food. Then Whalers village

Day 2 - open during the day -- Warren and Annabelle's magic show at 7:30 pm

Day 3 - open during the day -- Drums of the pacific Luau at 5:30 P.M.

Day 4 - Early start to The Road to Hana -- reservations at Kimos for dinner

Day 5 -5 hour Snorkel tour with Trilogy -- New years eve?? no plans yet

Day 6 - Open all day then dinner at Dukes in the evening

Day 7 - Haleakala Sunrise/Bike tour (Daughters "must do" request)

Day 8 - open

Day 9 - Check out of our condo then free during the afternoon. Dinner at Mammas fish house on our way to the airport for our 10;00 P.M flight back home

Any suggestions on what we should do on our "open" days would be greatly appreciated! We are definitely looking forward to having some down time together on the beaches!!!

Thanks!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,227 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have I planned to much for our stay in Maui?

Please do a search on TA about that bike ride down Haleakala. It is something you should research carefully before letting her go down. The companies are not allowed to start in the park anymore due to too many accidents, and worse.

Day 4... what time is your reservation at Kimo's? The Road to Hana can be a 12 hour day, easily. Of course, you may want to turn around after just two hours on the road as well. You don't have to drive the whole way if someone is getting car sick, or you aren't having fun anymore!

I would not plan anything on your open days. You already have quite a bit. I'd be sticking in the words "BEACH" when you have an open time. Or just decide that morning, while enjoying your coffee on the lanai!

Have a wonderful time!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have I planned to much for our stay in Maui?

As JOan mentioned please research the bike ride, it really is more about "braking" down the mountain on a narrow 2 lane road with traffic.

What time does your snorkel cruise leave? If you do the full 12 hour road to Hana the driver will be pooped. I sure wouldn't worry about adding any other planned excursions.

Level Contributor
36,374 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have I planned to much for our stay in Maui?

On your open days, a visit to the beaches in Kapalua and Napili would be nice. Try to arrive early for the best parking at Kapalua. :).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,057 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have I planned to much for our stay in Maui?

Yep you are not going to get much positive support for the bike ride.....please ask your daughter for her second choice....zip line maybe?!?! Kimo's is not my favorite place. You might want to consider RTH on the day you leave and just check out of the condo in the AM...hit Mama's and head to the airport. IF you have room for your luggage in the car. BUt if that doesn't work you still might consider dinner in Paia rather than very late in Lahaina.

I also agree with JOan....BEACH....

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Have I planned to much for our stay in Maui?

This is strictly just my opinion. But I have never favored the bike ride. You start outside the park entrance. Ride the bike down a 26 miles curvy 2 lane road braking most of the way. Not sure how I could relax and enjoy the scenery and get to pay a handsome price as well. Now if it were on a bike trail inside the crater and I could see some things I couldn't from the regular road then it might be worth it to me. Don't think you will see anything different if you drive up and back in the car. You might check the Review Section of TA and see what people say who have had the experience.

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Have I planned to much for our stay in Maui?

Joan and Mamma, Thanks for your suggestions on the bike tour! I have shared the many comments on TA with my family and they are still insisting that we do this... I am looking forward to the sunrise, just not the "braking" all the way down part of this trip...Yikes!

You are right about dinner at Kimo's on the same day as our road trip to Hana. I will re-book this dinner for another evening. THX!

Our snorkel tour starts at 8:00 A.M on day 5.

As far as Hana goes, My husband and I will both be driving so that neither one gets burned out. (hopefully)

I realize that we have two long days booked back to back, but it was more important to leave New years day open to spend extra time on the Lanai, do some shopping, lots of eating and time for the beach.

Before arriving in Maui, we will be on the BI for 6 nights, 4 nights at Kona then 2 nights at VNP! I have not scheduled any excursions at Kona, so that each morning we can spend extra time on the Lanai with coffee in hand before heading out to the beach!

On our way to VNP, we will have all day to stop and explore before arriving at the park..

This is our first trip to Hawaii and I appreciate all the advice that you have given me!

Only 22 more days!!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have I planned to much for our stay in Maui?

# 1 - do you know how early you can get into the condo?? As early as 10:30? Be careful, as you could end up with a car full of perishables and no place to put them. And - I always recommend that you check out the condo first - to see what you need - then go to Safeway. Safeway is close by ... it's not a big deal to get there, and it is part of the Dole Cannery Mall.

Are you thinking Whaler's Village for an early lunch? Great idea! I highly recommend the outside seating for Hula Grill. If you still have your luggage, keep it locked in the trunk, and don't open the trunk until you get to the condo.

# 2 - You don't have magic shows in Indiana? Why not something more "Hawaiian." Check out 'Ulalena - also in Lahaina. http://www.ulalena.com/

#3 - OK

#4 - Your luau may run rather late for the early jump on the Road to Hana. Also, I would not try to arrive at Kimo's at any particular time after the drive in from Hana. I'd plan on dinner closer to your condo or in your condo ... or pick up something on the way to your condo. Keep it flexible.

#5 - If you want a snorkel trip with Trilogy ANY DAY - Book it NOW. And book the early morning snorkel ... generally calmer seas.

# 6 - Maui Ocean Center?

# 7 - Tell your daughter that you would rather not spend the day/rest of the trip in the ER/hospital with her. Despite the hype and photos and advertising ... you don't want to do this. The roads are not designed for bikes ... and in December, there is a good chance you will be biking in the cold rain ... on an unpaved shoulder. I can't tell you how many horror stories we have had on this Forum about biking down Haleakala ... and I can add a couple more from friends ... my favorite quote being "h*ll on a bicycle."

Drive to Halekala on your own ... anytime of day! And visit the Iao Needle or enjoy Upcountry Haleakala while you are at it. Or go at sunrise/sunset wearing your "Indiana" clothes.

#8 - It is good to have some open days to hang out, snorkel locally or to switch things around if rain is a problem. Also to shop ...

#9 - Sounds good.

Truly - you are traveling during a VERY, VERY busy time ... so reservations of any kind should be made now. And you do have your car reserved ... yes?

I don't know exactly where you are staying, but here is a rough may of the Ka'anapali resort area that I think is helpful.

kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have I planned to much for our stay in Maui?

If you must to the bike ride, please check with your insurance carrier before you go about coverage in Hawaii. It should not be a problem - but you will want to hone in on things like emergency medical transport and medical transport home. We all should do this anyway - but especially when considering biking down a 10,000 foot volcano on a bunch of tight switchbacks in the middle of winter.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
565 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have I planned to much for our stay in Maui?

Please google "haleakala bicycle accident" and read the articles about the injuries and fatalities that occur on these tours. If you feel that the risk is worth the reward, then by all means go for it. Just remember that none of those people thought they were going to get hurt when they started out.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,302 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have I planned to much for our stay in Maui?

Re arrival day ... we did the same thing this past April - flew from ITO to OGG with a 9 a.m. arrival. With 6 hours ahead of us before check in, and since it was a beautiful day, we drove up to the summit of Haleakala. (had breakfast on the way at Kula Lodge.) What a great way to start our time on Maui. On the way back, we picked up groceries and checked into the condo around 5 p.m. I know you have plans to visit Haleakala later, but just in case you reconsider the bike trip, going up on arrival day would be a good alternative, and save on some of the driving time. Your luggage will be safe in the trunk of the car at the visitor centres & summit parking lots.

Re your last day (someone may have already asked this above) - are you able to get a late check out?

Two recommendations for your free time (depending on how you feel and how busy you want to be):

- head to S. Maui for a day of exploring the wonderful beaches there and seeing the lava field at LaPerouse Bay. Bring your bathing suits, towels, snorkel gear - we really enjoy doing this for a day. If you go on Wed or Sat. be sure to stop in Kihei at the green church for Huli Huli chicken ... but go early because they probably sell out by 3 p.m.

- drive up to the Nakalele Blowhole - it's past Kapalua and a scenic drive that rivals any other drive on Maui. (about a half hour one way from Kaanapali.) At the blowhole, turn around and return the same way. A swim at Flemming, Kapalua or Napili beach would be fun on that day. Along the way, you'll see Honolua Bay from an overlook on the road - it's not usually calm enough at that time of year to snorkel, but you might get lucky. If you see others snorkelling, then it would be worth going ... if you see people surfing there, skip the snorkelling. The Kapalua Coastal trail is a highlight - a nice time to do it is just prior to sunset (it's a hot walk in the full sun during the daytime.)

I will also add my vote to skip the bike ride. We haven't done it, but on our first trip, we met a young man who had both arms in casts from wrists to shoulders - a result of a Haleakala bike mishap. On this past trip we drove up to Haleakala a second time (in addition to our arrival day) as we wanted to do some hiking and went around 7:30 a.m. - we saw the bicyclists coming down and as much as we like biking, we both thought this did not look like fun - riding down in the cold, on switchback roads that in some places were just wide enough for cars, and having traffic coming and going in both directions. Some tours had to follow the guide & travel as a group - so you could only go as fast as the slowest rider, and other groups were allowed to ride independently. Before you commit to this, if you haven't already, suggest looking at google street view to see what the roads look like. On this map, the ride would start to the left of "A" and head down towards "B" (A is the park entrance and bike rides have to start outside of it). http://goo.gl/maps/cMTGR Drag the street view (yellow man) over to a few spots and do a 360° view of the road to see if this is something that you think you would be comfortable riding on. It's difficult to get a perspective of the steepness on street view, but you can see what the roads look like. Closer to the park entrance there are shoulders, but further down they are slim to non-existant. If you are looking for a good activity as an alternative ... we can suggest some great hikes!

Edited: 29 November 2013, 19:32