We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pipiwai trail and ziplining in one day?

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pipiwai trail and ziplining in one day?

Hi! We are arriving in Maui in just about two weeks. We are staying in Kaanapali Beach. We were planning to do the Road to Hana but are debating some different ideas now. We will not be spending the night in Hana but are prepared for one long day excursion. We are really interested in ziplining in Haleakala as well. Is there any chance of being able to do the zipline at Haleakala and then make our way over to the Pipiwai Trail to hike to the falls. How far away are they from each other? We really want to see some of the beauty along the Road to Hana, especially the black sand beach. Pipiwai sounds like a great hike with beautiful big waterfall. Zipline in Haleakala sounded like a shorter time for zipping with lower weight requirements which would be a plus but just wanted to see if it is doable in same day as a hike at Pipiwai Trail. We are not planning to spend another day in a car that much during trip. Might drive to Wai'hee Ridge Trail one early morning and will spend time at beach in Kaanapali and time in Lahaina. We have 4 entirely full days on island and don't want it all in a car. Traveling with 5 kids ranging in age 8-13. Thanks for any input you have!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,888 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pipiwai trail and ziplining in one day?

First, you need to get a good map! Pipiwai Trial is in the Haleakala Park, but you access it from the Hana side. It is actually another half hour drive further than Hana. Then at least two hours return for the hike. To do any ziplining, you need to access Haleakala from the OTHER side, driving Upcountry.

Also, make sure none of those kids will be car sick! It's a very windy drive to Hana. You may need to stop lots, and be prepared to turn around when and if someone needs the misery to end. Honestly, when we took our three kids to Maui, all in their late teens, we didn't even bother with the drive. Never brought it up, as it wasn't something I was prepared to do with them. You will need to stop LOTS, and it will be time consuming to get them out, an loaded up again.

Waihe'e Ridge Trail is a wonderful hike, but you must watch those kids carefully. It truly is a ridge, and in some places the trail is quite narrow. We took just over an hour to get to the top, much quicker going down. The hardest part is right at the beginning of the trail.

I think the Kapalua Coastal Trail would be a better option with the kids. More of a walk than a hike, but amazing views.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pipiwai trail and ziplining in one day?

They are not close to each other so IMO no you can't do both in one day and while I. Have not done the RTH we did go to Haleakala and the drive there is not a quick one especially going since the roads are windy and curvy you can't go fast. Doing the Road to Hana is going to be the same slow going that's why it is considered a all day excursion.

Truthfully if you only have four days on Maui I think you should pick either or and spend time enjoying the beaches of Maui.

Joan's suggestion of the Kapalua trails is a good one especially since you are staying in Ka'anapali.

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pipiwai trail and ziplining in one day?

Thanks so much for the input. I did not think they were close enough but I thought I would check just incase I was wrong. We will definitely check out the Kapalua coastal trails as well. If we do the Waihe'e Ridge Trail it will just be a couple of the adults for that one. Thanks again for the input. Cannot wait for the trip!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,888 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pipiwai trail and ziplining in one day?

If you have some walking sticks, take them along for the Waihe'e Ridge Trail. You will be glad you did! When we got to the end of the walk, I walked a guy pick up a big walking stick from the ground. Wished I had seen that when we started out! Go up (and down) the hill zig zagging on the short, but steep cement section at the beginning. Your knees will thank you!!

Maui
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pipiwai trail and ziplining in one day?

If your kids like to hike, the Pipiwai trail is amazing. Lots of bamboo with boardwalks too. A few waterfalls along the way. It is approx. 4 miles round trip. I would check the weather report for east Maui before you go. The trail will be muddy if it has rained. You would need to leave early. I would suggest 5 -5:30 am just to get a good start. Take bug spray. When I went in June, it did sprinkle at the beginning of the trail. I would suggest a change of clothes in case you get rained on.

I would suggest going right to the trail, then stopping at stuff on the way back. Twin Falls is not worth the stop.

6. Re: Pipiwai trail and ziplining in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:18