We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin?

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin?

Pro's and Con's of each place?

We will be staying in a condo too since we will be in maui for 2 weeks but I also want to stay in a resort for 4 nights. My husband and I don't have kids and we're in our late 20's. We will be traveling in March so we need to decide soon.

Please help! It's so hard to decide. >.<

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin?

Hyatt is at the southern end of Ka'anapali Beach, and the beach is very narrow there. Also ongoing construction going on there. Nice pools, so it attracts kids. You don't have kids, so not sure if you want to avoid kids???

Sheraton is a wonderful location, right by Black Rock. But I have read reports that love it, others say the rooms are small and dated.

Westin... which one??? There is Westin Villas, north of Black Rock, and the Westin Spa, south, right on Ka'anapali Beach.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin?

We're not really sure if we'll be bothered by a lot of kids wandering around but I've heard that the grounds of the hyatt is really pretty!

I think I was looking at the Westin spa. I think all of them are family friendly hotels too so I would assume that kids won't really be avoided.

Confused.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin?

I would pick the Sheraton. Very nice location and spread out. Have never actually stayed there but as Joan said, mixed reviews. It is where I would stay myself, but I prefer condos now. The Hyatt is nice, but crowded. I did not like it.. Had to fight for chairs around pool and the chairs are literally right on top of each other. Some people like it, but it was not relaxing to me. Westin Villas are nice, but the hotel does not get good reviews. There was one poster on here that liked it a lot though. Depends in your tastes. Where did you decide on condo? Are you doing the Kapalua Villas or did you decide to go south? If I did Condo on the west, I would maybe do Marriott on south for 4 nights.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin?

You are visiting in March! It's kids cental for every resort on the island.

Spring-break for elementary/middle school kids from the mainland. There will be kids enjoying your resort which ever one you choose.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 05:46
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin?

For the condo, I was thinking of the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali because all the rooms are ocean front and it has good reviews here. The Kapalua might be too windy but I'm still not sure. I was thinking 4 nights in hotel in west maui, then 6 nights condo in west maui, then 4 nights in south maui. BUT maybe my husband will get tired of moving around three times in one Island. Lol

I know, we really can't avoid kids because its spring break.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin?

Hyatt and Westin have construction. Not sure if it would be finished in time.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,909 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin?

You want the Sheraton. And their rooms are not small. Beautiful setting, spacious and a great location on the beach. .

Both the Westin Resort and Spa - and the Hyatt - are kid magnets with special kids' pools and such. The Sheraton doesn't cater to kids so much. And both the Westin and the Hyatt have construction underway. Between those two, though, the Hyatt is far better than the Westin.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP! Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin?

Well, it was no accident that the first resort built in the planned Ka'anapali resort area was the Sheraton. Black Rock and the stretch of beach there is arguably the best section of that long stretch of beach.

This is a bit of oversimplification, but I usually say - if you are pool people go for the Hyatt. Lush grounds and great pools but lesser beach there. If you are beach people go for the Sheraton. Great beach, good snorkeling, nice pools but nothing elaborate.

But as others have mentioned, there is construction at the Hyatt which may have a huge impact on your decision.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,398 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP! Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin?

If you get a condo in west Maui try an hotel in south Maui. The Makena Beach and Golf Resort may be just what you are looking for but it isn't in west Maui!!

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP! Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin?

+1 for the Makena Resort. I have stayed at the Hyatt and Sheraton a few times, but the Makena is a way better experience IMO. Ka'anapali can be a zoo, especially around spring break.