We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do we stay in Maui?

Boston...
4 posts
Save Topic
Where do we stay in Maui?

We are planning our Honeymoon for this May. We are spending 3 nights in Honolulu, 6 nights in Maui and 3 in Kuai. We know it sounds like a lot but we added Honolulu to see Pearl Harbor and we want to see Kuai. I have never been to Hawaii and don't know if we'll get back. Are we crazy for doing 3 islands?

Our main question is where to stay in Maui. We are active, want a nice beach, nice property but also things to do for when we don't want to sit by the pool. We had looked at the Ritz but it seems like it's not near very much. We are considering the Fairmont in Wailea. Will we be happy in that area? We have been seeing a lot of people saying Kaanapali has more to offer. Hard to tell by the reviews. We want to be able to do dinners/drinks without having to drive at night. Are there shuttles from the hotels? Four seasons looks great but for the price I'd rather Fairmont or Ritz. Thoughts and help are greatly appreciated!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do we stay in Maui?

This is basically the same question you asked yesterday. You don't need to ask it daily - but instead just add another comment to the same thread ... like replying to yourself. Simply typing "bump" will do the trick.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,756 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do we stay in Maui?

BLBL - the OP posted on the general Hawaii forum yesterday and it was suggested there that she repost here - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g28932-i36-k7021617…

I agree with the recommendations in that thread not to do 3 islands in 12 nights, but if you feel that you must, I might divide it up 3 Oahu, 4 Kauai, 5 Maui. Or you could just do 2 on Oahu and then 5 on the other two island. (We've done splits of 2/8 - it doesn't give you much time on Oahu, but enough to see Pearl Harbor, hike up Diamond Head and spend some time at Waikiki Beach.)

I think the Kaanapali area would work well for what you are looking for ... in particular, the Sheraton.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do we stay in Maui?

Also, being new to Trip Advisor, the OP wouldn't have a clue about doing a "bump". It was months and months before I even realized there was a search engine on this site! It can be overwhelming for a "newbie", that is for sure.

I wouldn't want to try seeing three islands, but some people like to be active, constantly. It is YOUR holiday, not ours. But I would recommend trying to fly into one island, and flying home from another one. That will eliminate a half day spent in an airport. It does take time to get from one island to another. More time is needed at the airpot before departure, than the actual time in the air.

HINT: lots of people assume they will only get to see Hawaii once. Most people plan their return while sitting at the airport waiting for their flight home. It truly is a magical place, and you have chosen a wonderful place for a honeymoon! And May is a gorgeous time to be on Maui! Congratulations!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do we stay in Maui?

Welcome to the forum! As Joan said, it is your vacation so you will have to decide what you want. There is really a lot to do on each island, you will just have to understand that you won't be able to see a lot of the islands if you go to 3 of them. Also know that each time you change islands, you are kind of wasting time because you still have to get there early and go through security etc. I would rather spend more time exploring.

Also agree with Joan that most people return...many of us again and again!

The Ritz has a shuttle that goes to several restaurants...Merriman's, Pineapple Grill and Plantation house as well as their own places. It is about a 10 minute drive to Kaanapali which has more. If you want to walk to restaurants and shops, stay in Kaanapali. I stay in Kapalua now all the time and love the area.

I stayed at the Fairmont for 2 trips. It is very nice. A lot of people like that area also, but I just prefer the Kapalua area now.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong. Maui is fabulous! Have fun!

Edited: 03 December 2013, 05:52
Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
179 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do we stay in Maui?

We went to Oahu and BI for our honeymoon almost 5 years ago in April and stayed on Waikiki for 3 nights, we did not like it at all. If you are from the Boston area, I would compare it to Hampton Beach (long strip to drive up) but with high end stores and hotels instead. Very crowded. We felt like we had to do Pearl Harbor, glad we saw it but it was a long day. After 7 nights on the BI we went home exhausted. Don't try to do three islands! We ended up going to Kauai for 10 nights last year and loved it! Next up is 10 nights in Maui in 2014, don't assume you will never be back to the islands.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do we stay in Maui?

I'd rather see less of an 'expedition' and more honeymoon. Three islands in 12 nights is pushing it.

You have long flights to Hawaii from Boston. Your first day will be a blur as your body adjusts to the time change. Each 'hop' between islands will eat almost half a day, door to door (and will run about $90 pp one way). Departure day is always something of a loss.

JOan is so right! It is very unlikely you will never return to Hawaii! Also, one of the reasons people keep coming is not to do a 'check list' of island sights, but to relax, get on Island Time, and soak up the Aloha. (And for you, there is that 'honeymoon thing'.) I'd focus on just one or two islands this time. How about Maui + either the buzzier Waikiki or the more laid back Hanalei on Kauai? You could also stay full time Maui.

How are your flights lining up? Will you take a widebody nonstop from the East Coast nonstop to HNL? My DH and I try for those aircraft. We fly Chicago-HNL-Maui, staying within airport security at HNL until our flight departs for Maui. We do the same on return, not going into Honolulu, not collecting and re-checking luggage. You could do a last-day flight to HNL from Maui, through checking luggage to home. Depart Maui early in the day. See Pearl and Punchbowl. Fly home that evening from HNL.

Where to stay on Maui? All of the island's top hotels are in Wailea excepting the Ritz in Kapalua. Wailea is more convenient for a first-timer who wants to see Haleakala, Iao Valley, Road to Hana --, and it is 45 minutes from Lahaina. Kapalua is about as far from the sights as you can get excepting Hana. Have you looked at the aerials and reviews here: www.hawaiirevealed.com ?

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do we stay in Maui?

Honua Kai is a luxury condo property you may want to consider. We loved our 6 night stay there. Aloha! :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do we stay in Maui?

We're currently vacationing in Kihei, HI and staying here ( http://www.vrbo.com/170209 ). It's a great unit that has air conditioning ( a big plus). It's our 2nd time in this unit and we'll be returning to it next year too.

Owners are very nice. Airport (and a Costco) are about 20 minutes north (depending on traffic).

Pool, beach, grills are great/clean. Only thing this area/complex is missing is a hot tub.

If you're looking for something that's not a hotel, try here.

Good luck.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do we stay in Maui?

The beach where sdpryde is staying is nice to look at, but you can't swim there. I would look at the Kea Lani (Fairmont) that you were considering. There are many nice restaurants that you can walk to. It sits on a great beach.

The Ritz is way past Ka'anapali and sits up on a hill. Would not be my first choice. You could walk to Merriman's for dinner. Most other places you will need to drive to for dining or catch their shuttle as previously stated.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 00:24
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do we stay in Maui?

I've not stayed in Wailea yet, but in planning for a trip next March, it appears to me you'd have more nice dining options within walking distance in that area than in Ka'anapali. If you do decide on the Ka'anapali area, choose something located from the Sheraton, south, as there are few good dining options north of Black Rock.

I'm also one who prefers not to island-hop, but I understand where you're coming from. With a 2 - 3 island itinerary, consider a condo for 1 - 2 of them. A beachfront Waikiki resort would be fun for the shorter Oahu stay, but you might prefer the added space and other amenities of a condo for a longer stay on Kaua'i or Maui.