We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a 50% deposit normal for condos?

Iowa
Level Contributor
235 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Is a 50% deposit normal for condos?

I have rented from VRBO many times in other areas and have never had to put more than the security deposit (or a small percentage) to get a reservation. I am looking at some condos at Mahana and most of the ones that I have contacted require 50% deposit (I am booking for Jan 2015),and one has to be paid in full on November 1 (not necessarily 60 days out - which I have seen as common). I feel a little uneasy pre-paying this much. What have others experienced?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a 50% deposit normal for condos?

Some do. I have found 2 nights more typical and I personally would not put down 50%.

Most times whatever you put down is no refundable. Even I buy travel insurance there might be circumstances that are not covered. Sometimes if you go through the management company you have more flexibility. As an example DHR, if you cancel with 2 nights down, they will hold the deposit for one year for future bookings

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a 50% deposit normal for condos?

I would never give someone use of that much of my money two years in advance. Is your heart set on Mahana? Maybe someone can suggest an on-island agency that has units in that complex. The agencies I use specialize in South Maui.

I used to use vrbo for my island condo rentals but became disenchanted dealing with some of the owners. Now I prefer using a 3rd party agency that allows me to view and reserve specific units online. Usually the rental terms are more user-friendly.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a 50% deposit normal for condos?

Seems like the last few times we rented on Kauai, BI and Maui we had to put 50% down. I know for sure we did for our rentals this past July/August on both Kauai and BI and we have to do that for the condo we rent on Maui every year for Christmas. And when we rented in the USVI this past year the agency we rent through requires 50%. So I guess I'm used it. I just check the cancellation policy so I know what I'm getting into.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a 50% deposit normal for condos?

Details should be listed on their VRBO site suppose. My experiences which are somewhat limited are 20% down, and the rest paid up front 90 days before arrival. Maybe you should contact the specific VRBO huh? That 50% deposit does seems not normal. At least I think it's not normal. Just saying.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a 50% deposit normal for condos?

This may not be the norm on Hawaii/Maui but i have always been asked for a 50% deposit on rentals in other cities.

Iowa
Level Contributor
235 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a 50% deposit normal for condos?

Both of the condos that I have gotten quotes from are managed by on-island rental companies even though they are originally listed as VRBO. I am looking at a Kauai condo for one week of our trip and he only requires the security deposit. I am not necessarily set on Mahana, but I after looking at several other places, it looked to fit what we want.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a 50% deposit normal for condos?

Got you Beer! But boy that seems a lot!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a 50% deposit normal for condos?

I've paid a 50% deposit a couple times. Don't like it, but figure it's part of the cost of securing a place I like. But, be sure to get a hard copy of the cancellation/refund policy so the owner can't change things on you mid-stream.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is a 50% deposit normal for condos?

Yea it is...to be honest i was pleasantly surprised when my maui deposit was only 20%. i was so used to the 50% deposit that when the total came due i was like why so much???

Edited: 06 December 2013, 20:49
Level Contributor
410 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is a 50% deposit normal for condos?

Through Maui Condo and Home, an agent for owner listing on VRBO, only 20% to book, balance due 60 days before occupy. I think this is much more reasonable. I wouldn't put 50 % down myself