We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in January family of 5 with sons 18, 21, 25

Cameron Park...
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting in January family of 5 with sons 18, 21, 25

Boys have never been to Maui. Right now have 2 nights at Grand Wailea and 3 at Sheraton Maui with points. Land at 11:30 so thought we would stop at Mama's for lunch prior to hotel. Maybe stop at Costco prior to Mamas for water, alcohol and snacks.

Thought we would do the Iao needle hike one day.

Do you think it is ok to split up hotels? Thought it would be nice for them to see two areas.

Thoughts?

Thank you :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting in January family of 5 with sons 18, 21, 25

Seems like a lot of packing/unpacking for 5 nights. i would stay central and do day trips. you may waste valuable Maui time packing and checking out/in of hotels.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,373 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting in January family of 5 with sons 18, 21, 25

It's only about 45 minutes between the two hotels, but if you want this, fine. Your over-21 sons will probably be hopping onto the shuttle into Lahaina Town from the Sheraton. When you check out from GW in the morning, go right to the Sheraton and have them hold your luggage until you can check in that afternoon.

I'd be more worried about the tab at Mama's, feeding three hungry boys! (They might be just as happy having pizza in Paia.)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting in January family of 5 with sons 18, 21, 25

Splitting your hotel is not a big deal, as long as you can do it efficiently. And not check in times. Keep your luggage secure in your trunk when you leave ... and keep it closed.

I am more concerned that you have 5 adults in one room. Is that allowable in either resort ... or do you have a suite?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,639 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting in January family of 5 with sons 18, 21, 25

And what vehicle did you rent? Will there be enough room for a Costco stop with all the luggage as well? If you have a van or an SUV, you won't be able to secure anything while enjoying lunch at Mama's either. Valet parking there though...

At Costco, some people can stay with the vehicle while others run in to grab snacks and libations. Buy cute water bottles at ABC or Long's, and just refill them with water from the tap. That will save you some room in the vehicle, and help keep some plastic out of the landfill too. Win win there.

Have a wonderful time, and don't forget to pack binoculars!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,529 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting in January family of 5 with sons 18, 21, 25

I would say that for a five night visit, your boys are probably very much like our son. They travel light and go carry-on. I doubt you'll be buying much food for hotel stays, so you should be able to move easily. My concern would be the lag time between the check out and check in. I imagine the vehicle will be a size big enough to pick the luggage because give to a cat, and young men at that, they will appreciate legroom! Have a blast! Deb

California
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting in January family of 5 with sons 18, 21, 25

Your plans sound perfect, a family of 5 needs to save what ever money they can so changing hotels for you makes sense plus your family will love both properties. Our family of 5 has stayed at both these hotels and have always enjoyed them. We also make the customary Costco stop and fill up on water, snacks, sun screen and what ever else we need. These two hotels are use to families arriving with bags (boxes!) of grocery items from Costco & Safeway so enjoy your trip!

Cameron Park...
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting in January family of 5 with sons 18, 21, 25

Thank you to everyone for your comments. I really appreciate it :). We will have two rooms, currently booked a compact car (maybe should upgrade?), I've always wanted to go to Mama's (never been), will probably all be doing carry on so will not have too much stuff :). Glad most thought two hotels would be fine. Thought it might be a nice mix. Was thinking about a Luau. Has anyone been to the one at the Grand Wailea? Thanks again :). I can't wait! :)

Cameron Park...
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting in January family of 5 with sons 18, 21, 25

Oh one other question. Sheraton or Westin? I was thinking Sheraton with Black rock right there but I don't think the walk is too far either. Thank you :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,639 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting in January family of 5 with sons 18, 21, 25

There are two Westins...one is north of Black Rock (villas), on the quieter beach. The other is in the thick of things, right on Ka'anapali Beach.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting in January family of 5 with sons 18, 21, 25

The Westin Resort and Spa isn't a very good hotel. Noisy ... and they have some construction underway from what I hear. They do have a good kiddie pool ... but those days are long gone for you!

The Sheraton is great - excellent location and the short walk to Whaler's Village. Spacious, gorgeous grounds. I can help you with other questions if you like.

I don't recall if you have this. It's the website that shows aerial views of the resorts. I generally disregard their commentary - but the pics are great.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Note that there is second "Westin" - the Westin Villas. They are condos on the "other side" of Black Rock. You may want to consider the Villas - as they have great pools, beach ... and a washer/dryer in the rooms. More like a resort than run-of-the-mill condos.

Here is a map of the Ka'anapali resort area.

kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…