We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute issue for tomorrow....

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
167 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute issue for tomorrow....

I assume there is no super shuttle at OGG.

My son just turned four-- so he is required to be in a booster seat-- he is 54 lbs and very tall, BUT he is barely four....

I have the taxi picking us up at my house to go to JFK and returning us home--bringing a booster seat. Also, I decided to just spend the night at Maui Seaside Hotel (2 miles from airport) and in the am. because it will be 2:30 a.m. our time by the time we touch down. Kihei Car Rental (used them before, and they were absolutely fine) picking us up there to go get our car - and they provide a booster seat. That decision was based on reading the stress filled threads about waiting in line at Alamo or others and waiting on a car.and knowing I would have a young, exhausted child with me. I would rather just have a leisurely check in at Kihei Car Rental on Thursday.

However, it just dawned on me I have NO booster seat for the two miles to the hotel. Thoughts????!!!!!!! Less than 24 hours until we are outta here..................

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute issue for tomorrow....

I see people gate checking their car seats all the time. Can't you just bring your own booster seat and gate check it or even use it for your son on the plane?

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,478 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute issue for tomorrow....

Agree with Chrissy. I work at the airport and almost every parent brings their own. Have fun Jen!!!! Deb

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
167 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute issue for tomorrow....

I can but it is awkward and one more thing to haul. I was hoping I had eliminated the issue with the rental companies. I will worry later today when I get everything packed. I try to haul as little through lax as possible when I also have him and worry about connections. It is my worst case scenario but if no other option exists I will have to do so. When I took him for work we flew to airports with super shuttle

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,478 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute issue for tomorrow....

I will admit, Jen that when I see the parents, they are so loaded down with stuff! I understand wanting to eliminate that item. Your kiddo sounds just like our kids size wise and back in the day, we did not have this booster seat concern! Our kids are 24 and 26. Safety is a good thing. Deb

Canada
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute issue for tomorrow....

Bringing your own seat ensures that you have it, and do not have to risk any possible communication breakdown with the various "providers" along the way.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute issue for tomorrow....

"Bringing your own seat ensures that you have it, and do not have to risk any possible communication breakdown with the various "providers" along the way."

Plus...even though my car seats would get grubby...at least I knew it was alway's my kid's crud on em....I'm sure they clean them at rental places but as everyone who's ever had a kid get sick in a car seat....there's alot of cracks and crevices to try and clean out.

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
167 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute issue for tomorrow....

I can but it is awkward and one more thing to haul. I was hoping I had eliminated the issue with the rental companies. I will worry later today when I get everything packed. I try to haul as little through lax as possible when I also have him and worry about connections. It is my worst case scenario but if no other option exists I will have to do so. When I took him for work we flew to airports with super shuttle

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
167 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute issue for tomorrow....

I will just take it. I am not worried about communication breakdowns with either company (and i am a worrier) but I have the darn taxi at the airport. Thank god I just bought a britax booster seat. Hauling his car seat would have been a pain Ok decision made.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
995 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute issue for tomorrow....

I would call the car rental agencies. Most of them rent booster seats. might be better then hauling your own or going without.

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute issue for tomorrow....

On our trip to Maui the airline lost our booster seat. We had checked it at the jetway as we were boarding the plane so it was right there with the other strollers. How could they lose it?

Long story but when we landed I went to get the car and my wife and daughter got our luggage. I was a hertz member so I just went to car listed on the board (did not have to go inside). About then my wife called to tell me that the airlines had lost our booster seat. I went back to the hertz rental office to rent a booster seat and by then the line was out the door.

I said no way, and we drove the few miles to walmart and purchased a booster for $20.

The baggage person helping my wife with the lost booster seat paperwork did tell her that the police are very strict about looking for kids in cars without booster seats.

Later that night the airline delivered our booster seat to our condo.

We have the worst luck with the airlines loosing our car seats / booster. It got to the point that I would have to carry it on the plane and put it in the overhead bin. Just so we would have it when we arrived at our destination. It was a shame that I had to take up valuable overhead bin space with a booster, just because the airlines would always lose it.

Edited: 10 December 2013, 20:10