We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last day/late flight

Grand Island, NE
Level Contributor
234 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
last day/late flight

On our last day in maui on 12/23, check out time is 11:00 a.m. and our flight out is not until 11:15 p.m. We want to have the rental car back by 9:00 p.m. What is there to do with a car full of luggage for 10 hours? Our resort is on West Maui, so about an hour or so drive to the airport, but looking for something low key to do to kill time. Any eating spots near the airport? Also, are there any places to eat at the airport (or get a sandwich to take on the plane?).

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: last day/late flight

We now just pay through until the next day....so, worth it.

It allows you to relax, swim, nap dine, shower, stay cool all the while keeping your belongings secure....before the brutal flight home.

I can still remember that first trip many moons ago where we traipsed around like a couple of HoBos.....waiting to head to the Airport....never again. The added expense is just all part of the holiday.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: last day/late flight

I second Wanderlust. Do you have the option to extend to the next day? That would literally give you another day on Maui without having to worry about the luggage in the car. You can enjoy the resort, relax and get the most fun out of the day before that long flight home, I would recc a hotel but the check-in would be afternoon and you want to be at the airport by nine. Good luck! Deb

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: last day/late flight

If you have no other option than to check out at 11, if the weather is suitable, you could kill a lot of time by going up to Haleakala that day and having dinner at Kula Lodge or somewhere in Paia afterwards. Luggage is safe in the parking lot at the summit visitor's centre and should be at Kula Lodge as well. Driving up Haleakala on your last day isn't really the low key outing that you're looking for, but I think I'd find it more enjoyable than trying to fill 10 hours with little to do.

Also, if you have to check out at 11, are you staying somewhere that will hold your luggage and where you can have a shower? That gives you a few more options ... e.g. another beach/snorkelling day.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: last day/late flight

Susan's Haleakala idea sounds great. There are plenty of good restaurants in Paia, if you decide not to go to Haleakala. It's only about 15/20 mins away from the airport.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 23:57
Level Contributor
389 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: last day/late flight

Our last day at the Hyatt we stayed all day at the pool after check out. Then changed into our traveling clothes after doing a quick rinse at the outside showers. We just wanted one last day to enjoy the relaxation and outdoors. It was not much different than many of our other days. We had already done everything else we wanted as we were there 2weeks. Did dinner at Kimo's and airport by 8. Worked out great

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: last day/late flight

We had the same issue (as many do!) on our last day. We were staying in Kihea and checked out around 10am. We spent our time that day driving Upcountry and it took our time, it was so nice and relaxed! We stopped by the goat cheese farm, lavender farm, winery, stopped by a few beaches to watch the surfers, stopped in Paia to eat and watch the sunset and finally returned the car around 9pm. Once you get further up Haleakala (past upcountry), the road gets more narrow and full of hairpin turns. While the view from the summit is amazing, this is not a relaxing drive (as another poster mentioned). We really enjoyed our leisurely upcountry tour though!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: last day/late flight

i third booking an extra night...even if it is in a room by the airport like the Courtyard. by adding a night its like having a whole extra day. This last trip we splurged and booked our last night a t the Grand Wailea.

Mission, Kansas
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: last day/late flight

We also booked the night of our flight out as it wasnt till 11 PM and we didnt want to waste that day. Unfortunately we had little choices within the price ranges we wanted and so many wont rent for just one day. We are booked at a bed and breakfast not on the beach but that is where we will spend out last day hopefully snorkeling and then eating dinner somewhere wonderful. I just thought of something, wonder if I should tell the owners that we wont actually be spending that night? Wish I would have been able to just book that last day at the condo we will be in already but we werent able to get it for the last two days of our trip as all was booked around us.

One suggestion I thought of was for you to book your dinner at Mamas, get there before sunset, watch it from the most gorgeous view on the island, their beachfront. Then get a reservation by a window and spend lots of time eating and soaking up the authentic Hawaiian vibe.

antioch
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: last day/late flight

We did similar to empireguy when staying at the hyatt, left our bags at the bell desk area, went to the pool area around 11 am had lunch at the overpriced pool side cafe type place around 1:30, took the car and snorkeled at Airport beach till around 4pm then drove to Lahaina for some last minute shopping then a LONG casual dinner at 6pm- 8pm at Kimo's back to the Hyatt for our luggage(gave a bigger than usual tip) then off to the airport, worked out fine for us, no problems at all.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: last day/late flight

I doubt you can add a night now for that time of year. There are a few options for a place to relex and keep your luggage before you turn in your car. There are two older motel/hotels in Kahului. There is the Marriott Courtyard in Kahului. There's the Paia Inn. Kiehei has a Day's Inn and the Maui Coast hotel.

However you plan this, do not park anywhere with a trunk full of luggage, open the trunk, and show the passing parade the goodies inside.