We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Honeymoon

Boston...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Hawaiian Honeymoon

My fiance and I are working with a travel agent to try and plan our honeymoon. So far we have decided that we want to spend it in Maui and then spend a few days in San Francisco before traveling home (we are from MA).

We are going back and forth as to how many days we should spend in Maui. We first thought 11 nights (with day trips to different islands/different parts of Maui) and then 3 days in SF. Other people think we should only spend 8 - that 11 is too long.

We really want to know what people think is a sufficient amount of time to spend. We know this is a once and a lifetime trip and want it to be perfect! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
358 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon

Eleven nights is not too long. We stayed 13 nights one time. You will need 8 nights if you plan to island hop.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,109 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon

First off, I could spend a month on Maui, no problem, and I have been there four times. First three times were only a week. The fourth time, we finally managed a two week trip. But there is still sooooo very much on Maui that I have not experienced yet. So forget that 11 nights is too long. No way.

Also, please forget the "once and a lifetime trip". Because if you are like most of us, you will be planning your NEXT trip while sitting at the airport waiting for your flight home. It is high on the list of the saddest places on Earth.

So, because of you have now discovered Trip Advisor, you may even want to dismiss the travel agent, cuz you got us!!!

Welcome to Trip Advisor, and ask away. And read what other people are asking as well. And use the links on the right hand side of this page, as there is a ton of information for you to read through. It can be overwhelming at first, but there is a good bunch of people on this forum to help you plan your honeymoon.

Stopping in San Fran on the way home is a great idea. It's a wonderful city, and you could easily spend a week there too!

I don't think I would even consider a day trip to another island. If you could fly into Oahu, and spend two nights there, and then continue to Maui, then fly to SF from Maui, that would be okay. At least that way you could experience Pearl Harbour, and Waikiki.

Boston...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon

This is great - thank you so much for the feedback!! I agree that eleven nights is not too long. I have been before (my fiance hasn't) and I remember that our trip never felt long enough. I think the only time we would take a day trip would be to see Pearl Harbor. My fiance would eat that up and would love to see the Univ. of Hawaii. Is it easy to book a flight there for the day and back? Or is it something to do ahead of time?

I also wanted to ask my NEW travel agents (haha) about the areas to stay in Maui. My brother and sister in law stayed in Wailea at the Grand Wailea and loved it. We are on more of a budget and have read that the Grand Wailea kind of feels like Disneyland with it being so big and busy, so we were planning on staying at the Royal Lahaina in Kanapaali. I have stayed there before and really loved it. Is that a good area to stay for eleven nights? It is close to Lahaina I know, which has a lot of things to do (shopping, etc)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon

Yes...not too long at all. I have taken numerous trips now anywhere from 10 days to 21 days to Maui. I still have not seen and done everything I want to do. I always have to do favorite activities, have some down time, and a new thing or two. You want to be able to enjoy exploring as well as just hanging out and relaxing together. Day trip to Lanai on Ferry or by taking a Trilogy tour is very doable then.

The Kaanapali/Lahaina area is a very nice area to stay. Beautiful beaches all around, shops, restaurants. The best Luaus are in the area. Still easy to drive and explore the rest of the island...yes it may be a bit longer than if staying in the south, but not that much and it is a beautiful coastal view drive.

Edited: 16 December 2013, 01:33
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon

11 nights is definitely not too long. You'll need a little down time at the beginning to get adjusted from the time change and long flight. I wouldn't do a day trip to Oahu either. If you want to go there I would take a few nights at the beginning or end of your trip. You would want to fly in to one island and fly home from the other.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon

I would go to California first - then to Maui. And ... San Francisco is great, but what month? It would help us a great deal if we knew when you plan to travel.

Eleven nights on Maui is fine ... or if you want to split those 11 nights between two Islands - that's fine as well; for example 6 nights on Maui and 5 on Oahu. What you DON'T want to do is Island-hop. Flying between the Islands requires the full US security protocols. You'd end up spending way too much time (and $$) in airports - a terrible waste of a good honeymoon! :o)

Hopping around the Islands doesn't mean that you see more ... you just see less of the Islands you are on. You have a fixed amount of time ... use it wisely.

You could spend months on Maui and be just fine ... your choice of Island is up to you. How familiar are you with your options? Do you have good travel guides and maps? Do you know what you want to see and do on the Island/s you've chosen? Don't feel pressured to make decisions now simply because you have talked with a travel agent. Remember that their job is to sell you stuff ... so it would be wise to run your hotel options by us. And also - you want Hawaiian Airlines for your interisland flights.

(FYI - you'll be back.)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon

Oh, I see your next post! Before you day-trip to Oahu ... which is "OK" ... consider flying in and out of Honolulu so you can spend quality time there. There are some direct flights to Maui ... but you may end up flying in/out of Honolulu anyway.

If you want to stay at the Royal Lahaina - that's good ... if you avoid the cottages. If you provide us with your nightly accomodations budget, we can toss you some other ideas on resorts.

Edited: 16 December 2013, 01:42
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon

My wife and I have been to Maui over 50 times in 20+ years. We are still discovering things

Here are some thoughts. 11days is not too long. Day trips to other islands eats up a lot

Of time and money. Many airlines hub through Oahu. You could do a round robin of say 2 islands.

Say fly into Oahu spend a couple of days then on to Maui and home. Or Ohau, fly interisland to Kauai, spend a couple of days, fly to Maui, then home. Not familiar with east coast routing but you will save a lot of time and see more this way. There are a lot of "must dos" on Maui. But this is your honeymoon on a

wonderful island I would suggest that you not over plan activities. Don't worry that it has to be a perfect trip.

Maui itself will help you do that. A simple walk on the beach some starry night can become a life long memory

Boston...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon

Thank you all. I appreciate all of this so much.

Here are the travel details: we would ideally like to go from July 30th and be away for 2 weeks. We are both teachers and this is perfect timing for us to get home and get adjusted before going back to school.

With that said, does this change any of your previous tips?

I really like the idea of flying into Oahu and staying a night then going to Maui for the next ten or so nights.

We definitely want to do SF on our way home to Boston as a way to stretch out our last few days (and cut traveling time in half!)

Keep the tips coming! I've already told my fiancé that I think it's time to tell the travel agent "thanks, but no thanks".

Question: why no to staying in the cottages at royal lahaina? Just curious as to your opinion on them (that is what our agent had previously put for us)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,440 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon

"We really want to know what people think is a sufficient amount of time to spend."

I will just address this part of your post and say you can have a very nice, lovely relaxed honeymoon with eleven days on Maui. Is that too long? Absolutely not! I have already reserved a 32 night vacation, with my husband of as many years, for April 2015. Maui only.....we love Maui that much. We will be on Maui, in three months, for eight nights and then onto Kauai for another eight nights. We spend every minute of every vacation in Hawaii and never, ever get bored. It is our happy place.

Our obsession with Hawaii began five years ago and if you asked me on that first trip after 33 years, would I plan trips one after the other and never get enough, I would have laughed that it would be possible. This is just a warning that what you consider a once in a lifetime vacation might just become the beginning of your entry into the Hawaii obsessed club!

I prefer the Maui vacation to be at least eight nights and can feel satisfied with ten to twelve nights. You will run out of time in the blink of an eye. Deb