We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BOS to Maui (OGG) in July of 2015! How soon should I book?

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
BOS to Maui (OGG) in July of 2015! How soon should I book?

Hi, travel experts! We're planning a family vacation to Maui in July of 2015 (a year and a half from now). Iit looks like flight availabilty becomes available 330 days in advance of the departure date. How soon after this point should I book our flight? The "seven weeks" or sooner? US Air (for July of 2014, at least) has 1-stop flights from BOS to OGG. Anyone know the best time to book the flight? Thanks in advance for any tips!!!!!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BOS to Maui (OGG) in July of 2015! How soon should I book?

Best time is when the flights are cheapest which no one can predict. July is a busy time due to schools being out. Just start looking at 330 days out from your return date and pull the trigger if or when you see a price you can live with then quit looking.

Flying midweek or with a couple of layover can reduce the price but not always.

Have fun planning and good luck.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,891 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BOS to Maui (OGG) in July of 2015! How soon should I book?

Good advice from Bill.

Re "The "seven weeks" or sooner?" - I would go for much sooner as you'll likely want to firm up your accommodations well in advance, especially if you're booking a condo, and it's a bit nerve-wracking to have that confirmed and then leave flight arrangements until 7 weeks out from the trip.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BOS to Maui (OGG) in July of 2015! How soon should I book?

"Generally" (used loosely), air fares will drop 3-4 months out from departure. A year is probably way too long. For example, our last trip over, at 330 days, LAX-OGG was $1100. At four months, it was $550.

Sign up for fare alerts at the various airlines and then watch for sales. Like Susan, I wouldn't wait until 7 weeks just so I could sleep better!

Also, see if you can get a fly/car package. It can reduce the price considerably, especially mid-week.

Sheldon

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: BOS to Maui (OGG) in July of 2015! How soon should I book?

Here is what I have done in the past. I don't need to do it anymore as we fly to Maui so much I know a good fare when I see it. But you can research online what the historic prices have been in your market.

Then use some type of fare finder like:

www.farecompare.com/mytrips/signup.html.

You can plug in your dates and route and you will get an email alert when the fare drops.

Then you can judge if it is time to buy. Most airlines will give you a voucher for the difference if a fare drops after purchase.

You can also pick the best itinerary and airline for your trip, keep the airline's reservation site as a favorite and just check it daily

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BOS to Maui (OGG) in July of 2015! How soon should I book?

Last trip I booked about 9 months out. Partly because the price was right and partly because for my sanity I needed to have it booked.

As others have said, if you see a rate you can live with - go for it.

If they drop substantially you can ask the airline for a voucher for the price change which you can use for a future trip. That helped make our fare for our next trip very cheap.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,891 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BOS to Maui (OGG) in July of 2015! How soon should I book?

<<"Most airlines will give you a voucher for the difference if a fare drops after purchase.">>

We've never had much luck with this with the airlines that we use due to admin fees and booking non-refundable fares originally (which are usually much less expensive than booking a refundable one.) I think Alaska airlines is the only one that doesn't charge a fee to get a credit on a fare drop (other than Southwest, but they don't fly to Hawaii.)

Here's a chart which gives details on which airlines offer the vouchers and the cost associated with it - I'm not sure how current the info is: airfarewatchdog.com/blog/…

Edited: 19 December 2013, 15:45
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: BOS to Maui (OGG) in July of 2015! How soon should I book?

Don't know what to tell. It has always worked for me. No fees they just issue you a voucher for the difference. I am holding 4 of them right now.. I am not talking about changing the dates, just a lower fare on the same flights

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
774 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BOS to Maui (OGG) in July of 2015! How soon should I book?

cheapair.com/blog/…

7 weeks on average.

Like the article says though, routes are different. I have seen tickets to Houston from Hawaii for example at 1100, drop to 740, back to 1000, and back to 850 in the course of less than a week for the exact same days and airline.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,891 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BOS to Maui (OGG) in July of 2015! How soon should I book?

But which airline(s) are they for John?

New England
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BOS to Maui (OGG) in July of 2015! How soon should I book?

We are flying from Boston in spring of 2014. I just checked and our prices have gone up since we booked. about 4 months ago. Another consideration is using credit to pay for it. We used a credit card that we earn points on and took off about $350 . I also checked out Alaska Air that has a credit card that you can get and you receive one ticket either free or for $99 when you book with them. I was surprised to learn they had flights from Boston. Not sure on the price on the free or $99 ticket.

. That card also had a yearly fee. I am sure others with more knowledge of that card may correct my info.

I didn't jump on this deal because I was too anxious to get my flights booked, but you would have time to look into it.