We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaanapali vs Wailea-which is more windy

Corte Madera...
1 post
Save Topic
Kaanapali vs Wailea-which is more windy

Someone said that Kaanapali beaches/ocean are not great for little ones (windy/rough water). Is Wailea better in this regard? We have five year old twins that are not awesome swimmers but we would like to feel safe on the beach/ocean. Any advice is helpful! We are going in July.

Thank you!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,916 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaanapali vs Wailea-which is more windy

I don't think one is much windier than the other. The trade winds blow their strongest during the summer months. That is a good thing because when they disappear it's hot and humid.

How rough the surf is is seasonal. In the summer the best chances for great conditions would be in the west/north side of the island. That would include Kaanapali.

antioch
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaanapali vs Wailea-which is more windy

I'll never forget a couple years ago at Airport beach late April what a sandstorm! if I was ever to get a "sand-dermabrasion" that was the day to do it. next day same beach, same time, calm as all get out.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,374 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaanapali vs Wailea-which is more windy

It is windy at times all over the island. In July, if you want a nice calm little beach I would look at Napili for Napili Bay or in Kapalua. Kaanapali can be great also, but you at times can get some bigger rolling in waves. Some in the south would work in the summer, but they tend to be wavier during the summer. Napili Bay and Kapalua Bay are very calm in summer (unless you get a strange swell which cannot be predicted).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaanapali vs Wailea-which is more windy

I would agree that Kaanapali is not the best beach for young children. It does get surf and has a shore break meaning the waves break in shallow water and create an undertow.

Most beaches on Maui do not have lifeguards but there are about 9 that do.

South Maui does get a summer swell meaning surf can be up.

The best bet is early in the morning, as it is usually calm in both surf and wind on all the beaches.

We take our 6 and 4 year old daughters every year. We hit the beach in the morning then the pool or other activities in the afternoon. The trade winds kick up in the afternoon but lots of times they die down late in the afternoon before sunset.

Also June to Dec is hurricane season. Storms rarely hit Hawaii, but they do past to the east of the islands and cut off the trades and it can get very warm and muggy. So it is hard to predict any particular time frame.

We just go with the flow and always make it work

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,910 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaanapali vs Wailea-which is more windy

In July, I would choose Napili (or Kapalua). With a family, I would choose a condo, too.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
994 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaanapali vs Wailea-which is more windy

I personally think they are roughly the same.

I do a lot of cycling and pay a lot of attention to the wind, so bear with this explanation.

Typically the trades come generally out of the NE, which means they are heading toward the SW. However the exact direction they are coming makes a difference, as the wind wraps around the W Maui mtns and also Haleakala. So what that means is often you have a wind shadow in Lahaina and also in Kihei/Wailea. At the north side of the shadow, typically the wind is coming out of the north, at the south end of the wind shadow it is coming in (sometimes) the opposite direction. When the wind is coming more from the north, the wind shadow moves south, and that is typically where you get strong winds in Wailea and Kaanapali. When it comes more from the easterly side of NE the shadow moves north, and often kihei and wailea is pretty calm. In other words, on more easterly days I can have the wind at my back as I head south in kihei, and by the time I hit Makena, still heading generally south, the wind is howling in my face.

Take a look at this page, and the maps:

…sailtrilogy.com/understanding-mauis-wind-we…

They are trying to explain the same thing but I think from personal experience there is a "wrap around" effect: more like this map of how the wind wraps on the south side of the big island:

pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs169-97/TradeWinds.gif

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
994 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaanapali vs Wailea-which is more windy

I would also say IRT Sue's comment about Napili or Kapalua, that those are further north and are probably more windy more consistently IMO than Kaanapali would be. I know that if there are tradewinds, and I am cycling north from Lahaina, I will always run into wind someplace north of Lahaina but almost always before Napili, if that makes sense, and Kapalua is even further north.

I'm sure there are average wind speeds someplace.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
994 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kaanapali vs Wailea-which is more windy

In fact:

usa.com/kapalua-hi-weather.htm#HistoricalWind Speed

usa.com/wailea-hi-weather.htm#HistoricalWind Speed

usa.com/…HistoricalWind Speed

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kaanapali vs Wailea-which is more windy

that's an excellent explanation from trilogy. I have used that before.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kaanapali vs Wailea-which is more windy

I agree with John regarding the shore break at Ka'anapali beach. It is steep in many places. Once you are past this it levels off.