We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Powered Hang gliding or Helicopter ride?

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Powered Hang gliding or Helicopter ride?

My husband and I will be on our Anniversary trip this March and we were wondering if we should add either of those to our itinerary?

Are either of those worth the time and money? The hang gliding is more risky but looks more fun too. We've done a helicopter ride over San Diego before and we enjoyed that too.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Powered Hang gliding or Helicopter ride?

I have never find the owner glides but have read reviews and posts sharing concern about this activity. I guess based on that, I would prefer the helicopter ride......which I gave done twice on Maui. There is risk involved in many things in life, but the helicopter ride was more in my comfort zone.

I have done Blue Hawaiian west Maui/Molokai twice in the past year and a half. We did use the Eco-star copters for better views through the windows. And more comfortable seats. The second ride was supposed to be the full island circle tour, but weather did not permit that choice. Book early in your vacation to allow for possible changes in days of your due to weather. Deb

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Powered Hang gliding or Helicopter ride?

We did the Blue Hawaiian West Maui and Molokai tour last Christmas. It was fabulous! I would definitely recommend booking the Eco-Star. Our views were spectacular! We are on Maui now and are going powered hang gliding with Armin tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes :)

Next to water
Level Contributor
300 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Powered Hang gliding or Helicopter ride?

I've done the powered hang gliding with Armin and I would recommend it. It was extremely fun and he offered a lot of information. I wish I would have taken the longer tour with him.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
185 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Powered Hang gliding or Helicopter ride?

I have done the motorized hang gliding on Maui with Armin...and I am in my later 50's...and it is my all-time, life-long favorite activity. It was freakin' awesome...and believe it or not is much safer than a helicopter. Especially with Armin, who is very professional, knowledgeable and personable. (In fact, he shuts the motor off and you are actually gliding for a while. A hang glider such as his can land without the engine going...so unless you have a careless operator, it's very safe.) Armin guides your excursion based on your comfort level. Your only regret would be when the ride is over. I highly recommend the motorized hang gliding on Maui...and save the helicopter if and when you make it to Kauai.

New England
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Powered Hang gliding or Helicopter ride?

This sounds like something my spouse might like? How far in advance did you book your reservations?

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Powered Hang gliding or Helicopter ride?

Wow.....now you guys are making me wish my fear of heights wasn't so overwhelming cause it sounds like a lot of fun! I agree with you Barb that Kauai would be spectacular from a helicopter, but that helicopter ride was something both kids wanted to do with me and we were not on Kauai, but Maui. I like the way you explained it too Barb. Maybe I will start with parasailing and see how I do with that activity. Deb

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Powered Hang gliding or Helicopter ride?

Thanks for all the reply guys! Looks like we are booking the powered hang gliding with Armin. ;) We've done the helicopter ride before so trying a new thing would be nice. :)

Edited: 23 December 2013, 02:32
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
185 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Powered Hang gliding or Helicopter ride?

newenglander, we made our reservations several months in advance...but that's just us. I am a "planner" so I like having my reservations made well in advance. In fact, I was the first person to book a particular excursion for this coming March...I know because I had to call as it was not open for on-line booking yet :) Deb, I think the motorized hang gliding is much easier than parasailing. I do not do well with heights...one rung on a ladder is it for me. Anyway, the hang glider is a large trike and you sit right behind Armin...like on a motorcycle. Armin continually talks to you and ensures you're comfortable. It's very smooth and the sights are breathtaking. My best friend that is 70 years young also went on the ride. It's incredible.

Next to water
Level Contributor
300 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Powered Hang gliding or Helicopter ride?

I'm afraid of open air heights but I'm ok when strapped into things like trikes, rollercoasters etc. It's very much like being a bird and I felt very safe. If you are adventurous he'll zip pretty darn close to the waterfall or if you are less adventurous you can just coast over the water.

I would look into booking only because he doesn't run it all of the time and I can't quite remember but there were a couple of days that I thought we could go but he doesn't do it. One of the weekend days maybe? Anyway since you have to coordinate it with being out in Hana you might want to try to figure it out.

My only complaint of the powered hanggliding were the smelly jumpsuits that you have to wear. They smell like old sweat and it was kind of gross. I'm hoping he has since washed them or put them on a wash cycle.

Also if you are going with another person you will obviously have to wait as you take turns with Armin. Bring something to read and some bug spray. Mosquitos at the airport when you are just sitting around waiting near the woods.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Powered Hang gliding or Helicopter ride?

Our powered hang gliding trip with Armin on Monday was amazing!! You won't regret it. We saw incredible vistas including waterfalls and rainbows. Armin was professional, knowledgeable and very personable. I am glad that we booked the full hour lesson. Enjoy!!