We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Condo for Honeymoon

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Condo for Honeymoon

So flights finally booked for our honeymoon in April - Arrive in Maui 4/6, staying 5 nights before moving over to the Big Island for 7 nights. I'd like some feedback on accommodations. Our budget is about $200/night for the trip. On Maui, I figure we should stay put in one place for the 5 nights (I hate repacking & unpacking). I think for our budget a condo is the best bet.

Things we hope to do on Maui (so you can give me a better idea of where to stay!) - Road to Hana, Haleakala at sunrise (or sunset if we get lazy), perhaps a snorkeling trip to Molokini or Lanai, and a luau (OLL or Feast of Lele, can't decide but leaning towards FoL for the more personal seating). I feel like south would be a little less driving, but everything I keep finding that I like is west. I know April will have some spring breakers, but hope to avoid any kid magnet condos if possible.

For lodging, I really want something with a great ocean view. A "great beach" outside my door isn't necessary - we can drive there. But I want a lanai with a gorgeous view.

So here are some places I've found on vrbo. I like the first one best, and it's just at budget $203/night (incl taxes & cleaning fee). It is on the ground floor which makes me a touch anxious about noise. Most of these are Maui Kai - the ocean view just gets my attention :)

I'm open to any other suggestions, only flight & car are booked. Merry Christmas Eve and thank you in advance!!

http://www.vrbo.com/272938

http://www.vrbo.com/289186

http://www.vrbo.com/106237

http://www.vrbo.com/487844

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,934 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Condo for Honeymoon

It looks like your activities are about half towards the south and half towards the west, in this case, just pick a condo you feel you will be most comfortable in at your price point.

Make sure you check out the menu for the Feast at LeLe before booking. Having a table of your own is nice but the menu is very eclectic.

Hawaii in general isn't a "spring break" destination so no worries there!!

I like the first one too. Of course the floor to ceiling windows at the Mahana are nice too.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Condo for Honeymoon

I'd take the Mahana one - it's a great place to stay (and we like it so much that we haven't stayed anywhere else in our 4 stays on Maui). The unit looks great, and you'll have amazing views. The Maui Kai one looks nice too, but the Mahana one was just renovated, so a plus there. Also, you'll have in-unit w/d at the Mahana, but a shared facility at Maui Kai. I also like that the Mahana's pool area has a view of the ocean, and there's a long stretch of grass with loungers to sit on between the buildings and the ocean. It's not a place that's popular with families with children, although there might be a few families there. We were there at that time this year and saw some whales from the lanai.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Condo for Honeymoon

Either the Mahana or the Maui Kai would fit the bill. Great views and lovely location, easy stroll over to the boardwalk that runs down to the main Kaanapali resort area too.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Condo for Honeymoon

I would not pursue any advertisement that does not quote the unit number.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Condo for Honeymoon

Re the unit number - when I posted a review to VRBO recently, they refused to publish it until I took out reference to the unit number. I don't think this came from the owner as he publishes the unit number in his listing, but it must be a new policy for VRBO.

I wouldn't be concerned if the owner doesn't advertise the unit number - you can get it when you communicate with the owner.

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Condo for Honeymoon

Thanks for the feedback!

Any red flags on the first one? It's closer to our budget (203/nt vs the Mahana comes in at $240/nt) though I agree the Mahana one is quite nice :)

Also - a different owner at Maui Kai mentioned that Maui Kai is going to begin having a resort fee 1/1/14, but that if I book before 1/1 then I may not have to pay that. Anyone know anything about this? The other Maui Kai owner didn't mention this.

Thanks!

Kristen

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Condo for Honeymoon

Also consider the taxes in your accommodation budget, it's 13.42% if I recall correctly.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Condo for Honeymoon

The only potential negative for the Maui Kai one is that it's on the first floor, so a lack of privacy on the lanai, and you'll likely want to lock the lanai doors at night (whereas on a higher floor, you can just leave the screens open.) There's not a lot of foot traffic in front of the Maui Kai, so privacy might not be an issue.

There's no mention on the Maui Kai website about resort fees being implemented, but it might be worth asking the owner of the unit that you're considering renting.

9. Re: Maui Condo for Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 06:18