We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Honeymoon

Belmont, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Honeymoon

Hi all,

I'v enjoyed reading up about Maui and its resorts on this forum and the reviews section. You have a lot of knowledge of the island, so thanks for sharing. My fiancee and I are getting married in July and will be traveling to Maui for our honeymoon. I've been in charge of planning the trip and I'm looking at most likely 8 nights.

I was trying to decide between West Maui and South Maui, but had the idea to maybe split it four nights each at each end. I've researched the resorts and found the Sheraton on Expedia, with flights for both of us, for $3,151 for the first leg of the trip (includes 4 nights in an oceanfront room). Then we would go to the Grand Wailea (I've heard it's amazing), and stay in a regular room (possibly get a honeymoon upgrade when we get there) for $350 per night at the AAA rate.

With a car for about $300 for the week, it should come out to about $4,800 for the trip, before all the fees. Does that sound like a good plan/deal? I haven't been to Maui since I was a kid, so this is all a bit new to me. Definitely open to suggestions on other hotels! I'm also looking at the Hyatt on Kaanapali due to their two free night offer on their credit card. Thanks to all who answer. I'm planning on writing more reviews on Tripadvisor and will definitely write a report on our experience this July!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Honeymoon

Congrats!

I would just pick a place and stay put...you are talking about a 45 min drive between the two hotels.

The GW is a neat place but in July it will be covered up with kids and not very honeymoonish. Maybe look at the Fairmont, the Andaz or the Marriott if you want to stay South...

I think Sheraton would be nice as well...at that time of the year i'd also look at the Ritz if it hits your budget. you might do well to stay longer at a single place too, if they have a "buy five, get one night free" deal.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
529 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Honeymoon

I would probably just pick one place and stay put for the duration of your trip. We liked Honau Kai on the west side.

Iowa
Level Contributor
11,262 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Honeymoon

If I was honeymooning I would look into getting 4 nights free at the new Hayatt Andaz. If each of you gets the Chase Hayatt credit card, you'll have lots of wedding expenses that can go on the cards. And voilà, you each earn two free nights at Andaz!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k698796…

Check out this trip report by tifa, including her blog. They stayed 4 nights at Andaz, free with the Hayatt Visa, and the rest of their trip at Honua Kai. The Andaz looks fabulous for your honeymoon! We liked our stays at Sheraton and at Honua Kai, but Andaz seems pretty special, and not a kid magnet in July.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,614 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Honeymoon

If you can get a good deal without splitting the nights, do that. Otherwise, I think you would enjoy staying in both areas. I too would pick something else besides the Grand Wailea unless the pools are what draw you to this resort. It will be wild with kids in July. Also, July is a very popular time to go and getting any free upgrades are few and far between. The Hyatt in Kaanapali is also a kid magnet.

Congratulations and no matter where you stay, you will find Maui magical!!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,816 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Honeymoon

TIhere wouldn't be a problem changing hotels. Ask the second hotel to hold your luggage after a morning checkout from Hotel #1 while you enjoy the grounds. You might plan three nights in West Maui while you do one of the two luau in Lahaina and look around the whole West Maui area.

Andaz is getting good reviews. I'd skip the Grand Wailea anytime mainland schools are on holiday. Fairmont is nice, too -- all two-room suites. Plan to do any sightseeing across the valley from South Maui -- closer, and all four-lane highway.

No better place to start married life than Maui! Lucky you!

Belmont, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Honeymoon

Thanks to everyone for your advice! I learned quite a bit from your replies. I'm looking into the Andaz. It would be great to use the free nights there, I think. Not sure I'm a huge fan of their decor, though. Anyone else think it looks a little "too" modern? Pools and beach looks great, though.

Another quick question. On the West side, is the Hyatt considered to be far superior to the Sheraton?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,898 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Honeymoon

Well, some here will fiercely defend the Sheraton--others the Hyatt. I think it's a coin toss, though each has its pros and cons.

The beach near the Sheraton is generally better than the area by the Hyatt.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Honeymoon

Have you priced the Sheraton and the airfare separately to see if you can get a better deal? We went last September, and I think in May were were able to get round trip flights were around $650 pp and ocean view (not oceanfront?) rooms at the Sheraton were around $330-350 / nt with the AAA rate.

Edited: 29 December 2013, 23:30
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Honeymoon

if Alaska Airlines flies from where you are, you can get an Alaska Visa Card and buy one ticket at regular price and get the 2nd for $118 companion coupon. We have that deal for this May with the 4 free nights at Andaz with the Chase Card. leaves a lot of $$$ left over for some other things

Belmont, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Honeymoon

Great tips. I guess I assumed expedia, et al. would have the best rates, but I'll do some work on individualizing the flights and hotel. I didn't know about the Alaska card, so I'll definitely look into that. They fly out of San Jose, which is close to me.