We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP_____Kahana Beach vs Kamaole II Beach

Summerside, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
HELP_____Kahana Beach vs Kamaole II Beach

Heading to Maui in April. Considering staying either in the Kahana Beach area between Kaanapali and Napili or in Kihei near Kamaole II Beach.

Stayed in Kihei last visit to Maui and really enjoyed Kam II.

Thought we might try something different this time. We have an opportunity for Ocean Front accommodations for about the same price in both places so price really isn't the issue.

We will be there for 16 days so want to make sure we are making the right choice

Hard to tell from the pics but Kahana Beach looks very narrow and not sure about the swimming etc.

Would welcome any advice, thoughts etc.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP_____Kahana Beach vs Kamaole II Beach

If you have 16 days why not do half and half?

Our next trip is 13 nights and we are doing 8 in Kihei, 1 in Hana and 4 at Mahana in Kaanapali.

A little bit of all areas that way.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP_____Kahana Beach vs Kamaole II Beach

As far as beaches go Kam II is a much better beach area.

What place are you looking at in Kahana?

DP is right with that many days you could split it up.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP_____Kahana Beach vs Kamaole II Beach

spliting between the two is an excellent idea. I've stayed at the Sands of Kahana and Kahana Beach a few times. I have no issues with either place but I will say the swimming is alot better at kam II IMHO.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP_____Kahana Beach vs Kamaole II Beach

I few weeks ago we spent our first week in Napili and our second week in Kihei, it worked out well but packing everything up is a little hassle. However, the second week in Kihei we kept saying we wished we had stayed in Napili. We enjoyed Big Beach but the Kam beaches in front of our condo were not very nice compared to Napili Beach.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP_____Kahana Beach vs Kamaole II Beach

Kahana beach is a narrow beach and rocky. We stayed there a week, and always had to drive elsewhere.

Kam II is a much better beach.

Level Contributor
140 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP_____Kahana Beach vs Kamaole II Beach

We have only stayed in Kihei for one trip (2 weeks), however we prefer Napili and stay there every year. We have also stayed at valley isle (Kahana) and found the beach directly in front of valley isle a little rocky and the water murky.

Remember, there is always a beautiful beach waiting to be discovered it's just a matter of finding your favourite area to stay, maybe it would be a good idea to split your time and then you will know for next time exactly where you want to be. It's all personal preference!

Can't go wrong, as you will be in paradise. Enjoy!!!

Summerside, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP_____Kahana Beach vs Kamaole II Beach

Thanks for the great responses. Yes we are considering a split in time between the two places. We are considering Royal Kahana.

Besides the hassle of moving we would probably loose the significant discounted prices we have been quoted with a 16 day stay. This would not be a deal breaker though.

Beach is the number one priority for us. We have been to may in Maui and don't mind travelling a bit to get to them.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP_____Kahana Beach vs Kamaole II Beach

>>Beach is the number one priority for us. We have been to may in Maui and don't mind travelling a bit to get to them.<<

Well, my favorite beaches would be nearby in Kahana - Kapalua, Napili, Kaanapali. Also great beaches to the south of you in Kihei. Frankly, for me Kahana beach vs Cam II beach wouldn't be the deciding factor :)

Dave

Edited: 30 December 2013, 14:28
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP_____Kahana Beach vs Kamaole II Beach

I agree with Dave. There are much better beaches in both areas then the one fronting Kahana and Kamaole ll.

With staying that long either split the trip or just drive to the others, it's basically a 45 minute drive.

Fort Saint John...
Level Contributor
169 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP_____Kahana Beach vs Kamaole II Beach

I've stayed at the Sands of Kahana twice and I love the beach there. Yes, it's narrow in comparison to some others, but it was never crowded, and people were always very friendly. The swimming was great too! I think the Royal Kahana is close to the Sands. I don't think you'd be disappointed. Enjoy your trip!!