We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Was your beach rough today?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Was your beach rough today?

WOW it was crazy rough today at Napili bay, kids and adults were having a blast, even surfers were having some great rides. I Hope tomorrow is calmer, I want one last swim.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Was your beach rough today?

Just posted this on another thread... There is another north swell and it will remain rough. Go down to Kaanapali. It is a little wavier there, but nothing like further north.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Was your beach rough today?

Sending you hopes for a last day filled with calm waves and easy swimming. Enjoy every minute! Deb

Dallas
Level Contributor
24,793 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Was your beach rough today?

I really hate to have to read complaints about how rough the waves are in Hawaii. You could be somewhere here on the mainland with the rest of us !!

Have a great trip and enjoy !

Aloha

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Was your beach rough today?

That's the problem staying that far north on Maui during the winter months. There is always a chance of large or rough surf. Heading south will bring better surf. Actually going down to south Maui, Kihei, Wailea or Makena will offer better, more consistent ocean conditions for snorkeling and swimming at this time of year.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Was your beach rough today?

Actually Ms. Fuzz, before the last couple days, surfers were heading south because the south was having the bigger waves. It has been extremely calm up here and the south was rough.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Was your beach rough today?

Yes, I know, that is why I speak in generalities. Nothing is written in stone!! It is still MY experience that surf will be better and more consistent for snorkeling and swimming in south Maui during the winter months. A day or 3 here or there where the surf is up on the south side during the winter isn't the norm.

That is why while living on Maui, I paid close attention to surf and tide reports. Then I went to whichever part of the island had the best conditions on that day.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Was your beach rough today?

Placebets, I wasn't trying to complain, just curious,.First time here and the first few dsys were great. It wasnt as rough today .

Dallas
Level Contributor
24,793 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Was your beach rough today?

Justmarried02 - I know you weren't.

I just wanted to let you know that the rest of us are just jealous of where you are and where we are !!

Hope you are having a great trip.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Was your beach rough today?

Just got back from a walk on Kam One. Plenty of people in the water with their boogie boards. Big surf for winter. Still seeing the wrap around from the northwest swell.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Was your beach rough today?

Kapalua was pretty calm late today. A lot of snorkelers as well as surfers out past the break. A bunch of dolphins joined them.