We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RTH - Stops on the LHS or RHS

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
RTH - Stops on the LHS or RHS

When driving from Paia to O'heo, will most of the stops along the way be on the left hand side? I assume so since the ocean is on that side. Is that correct?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RTH - Stops on the LHS or RHS

Yes, driving towards Hana from the west, most (but not all) of the stops were on the left side - I recall one or two waterfalls on the right, a hiking trail on the right, and sometimes there is a good pullout spot on the right and then you walk across the road to see something on the left.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,499 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RTH - Stops on the LHS or RHS

Ocean on your left, mountain on your right where most of the waterfalls will be. Parking pullout's wherever there is room!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RTH - Stops on the LHS or RHS

Don't understand why you're asking this question, but it's an indication to me that you might want to do more research. We'd read about the RTH on this forum, including several recommended stops, and picked up a CD in Paia before starting on the road a few months ago. We ended up turning around half-way to Hana, realizing we weren't nearly well enough prepared to enjoy the drive/journey as we thought we would/should.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 19:25
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RTH - Stops on the LHS or RHS

Yes, just ordered the CD. We're just wondering if (to beat the crowds), we should drive straight to O'heo and backtrack with stops (we know the CD doesn't work this way) so that we can be in Lahaina for 5pm (we have reservations).

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,499 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RTH - Stops on the LHS or RHS

There are quite a few people that like to do Hana this way. Not a bad idea but you maybe making some hairy U turns to get to the stopping points. You may want to drive just a little bit further than Oheo Gulch, to Kipahulu to see Charles Lindbergh's grave.

Personally, I wouldn't go if I was on a time table that day. Too many things could happen that can delay you.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RTH - Stops on the LHS or RHS

Msfuzz - Not an ideal day, I know. However, we're going to go early and ensure we leave early. If we can't do it then, we won't do it. We will need some R and R time. We get however far we get and we can do the rest next time.

What time do the tour busses start coming?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RTH - Stops on the LHS or RHS

Just a suggestion, but I would consider some changes to your itinerary to make for a more enjoyable RTH day. I think you're planning Haleakala sunrise on Wed - perhaps use that day for the RTH so that you can have the full day and no worries about being back in Lahaina for 5 p.m. On the luau day (Monday?) do Haleakala, but not for sunrise - it's beautiful any time of the day and if you drive up in daylight, you'll get to enjoy the views both going up and down. It would leave you less worn out for your luau later that day than doing the RTH/luau combination, and allow you to devote the full day to the RTH.

There were only tour vans (no busses) when we did the RTH and not enough to interfere with our driving or stops.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,499 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RTH - Stops on the LHS or RHS

Love Susan's recommendation, worthy of consideration!! The tour vans start early, they will be on the highway by 7:00am. They start picking people up from their accommodations before that then generally stop somewhere for a quick breakfast then get on the road!!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,175 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: RTH - Stops on the LHS or RHS

Not sure if everyone understands your question.

I've driven Road to Hana three times. Most of the parking areas at the stops will be on the right as you go toward Hana. There are far less parking spots on the beach side of the road.

The waterfalls, scenic overlooks, etc, can be on either side. But the parking will be on the mountain side.

It is easy to walk across the road at any stop.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 04:25
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,862 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RTH - Stops on the LHS or RHS

The problem with doing it "backwards" is that books (and probably the CD) give you directions for the drive towards Oheo Gulch, not away from it. Even the mile markers that one uses to determine where to stop won't be evident. We put off a few stops that were recognizable coming back, but that's because they had good parking lots, otherwise, we found we just drove right on past.

If you find out the CD works differently, please let me know, I'd love to make more stops on the way out!