We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closed..... :-(

Iowa
Level Contributor
11,214 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Closed..... :-(

Restaurants and other small business must come and go. It is the nature of things, but still makes me sad to see a favorite go, or one that we always meant to try. I just heard of a couple such places.

Café on the Green - at Makena Beach & Golf Resort. This place had stunning views and good happy hour prices. I thought it was the best place to eat at the resort. :-(

Makena golf course - also at MB&GR will soon reopen after renovations, BUT as a private members-only club. Looks like a name change for MB&*G*R is in the works. All this is according to the concierge I spoke with.

I'o Restaurant- at 505 Front Street in Lahaina, sister restaurant to Pacific'O and home of Feast at Le'le. I am assuming they will focus this location on the FAL. Anyone know any more about I'o closing?

Has KOA, the new restaurant by the Gazebo people, made it? I was hoping to try it but haven't heard it mentioned lately.

Other old favorites and probably some new places have folded in the last year or so. Please add any that you may know of and help us stay up to date.

Thanks!

Teri

Nebraska
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Closed..... :-(

That is sad- the golf course was my husband's absolute favorite and we loved having lunch at the cafe before he played! I have to wonder, however, how long it can last as a private, members only course.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closed..... :-(

I did not know about I'O. We have gone to 505 Front Street a few times, planning to go to Pacific'O, but always found the menu more interesting at I'O, so we would end up there. Sad to hear they're gone. But, now that I think about it, the last time we were there, they filled their outside tables, but only 2 of the inside ones, which left a lot of empty restaurant.

Iowa
Level Contributor
11,214 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closed..... :-(

I was disappointed to hear I'o closed too and don't really know the details, just someone told me they had read it was closed. I am curious to know more.

I googled and came up with a link to the notorious blue book, in their list of updates.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 16:39
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
365 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closed..... :-(

Has anyone had the breakfast at Koa's and does it taste like the food at the Gazebo? Specifically the macademia pancakes and fried rice.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closed..... :-(

nursesar, if you like fried rice, I would recommend trying the breakfast at Aloha Mixed Plate. Their fried rice had bacon, kalua pork, Portuguese sausage, and an added richness from using oyster sauce. I've been craving it ever since we left, this past summer.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closed..... :-(

Teri- we ate at Koa's on our trip in June and it was good but not great, we did have a great table on the rail and truthfully they hadn't been open that long so sometimes it takes a little bit to get everything humming along. I looked at their recent reviews on Yelp which I thrust more that TA's and they are good.

One place in Lahaina I have heard really good things about is Sugar Cane Maui so may give that a try in May.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closed..... :-(

Found this list, thought maybe an update was in order. Also add:

Buzz's Warf

SportsPage Bar & Grill

Stella Blues

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Closed..... :-(

Also America II is no longer sailing due to the passing of the boat owner and the DLNR cancelling the VME permit for the boat.

antioch
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Closed..... :-(

had one of the best tasting dinners i've ever had at I'o Restaurant, macadamia nut crusted ono w/garlic mashers, lack of any decent ocean view had to have had a very negative impact over the years, not to mention the endless parade of people walking to and from the FAL.

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
459 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Closed..... :-(

We really enjoyed our ride the America II...