We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Maui for relaxing, low key ladies trip

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Maui for relaxing, low key ladies trip

Hello! A friend and I are taking our first trip to Hawaii to celebrate recent job promotions for both of us. We have decided on Maui based on all the good things we hear about it! We are two ladies in our mid-30s, looking for a low key place to stay (not a fan of mega resorts but willing to pay for a nice place on the beach) and to spend our days on the beach, sight seeing, hiking, and spending some days at a spa or two. We are both vegetarian (I'm vegan), so a veg-friendly hotel/inn would be great (definitely don't want to pay for all inclusive if they don't have good veg options). We want separate rooms for our own downtime so a suite would be perfect. Planning for March or April for the trip. Budget for lodging… preferably no more than $500/day. Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited: 06 January 2014, 00:01
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,839 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Maui for relaxing, low key ladies trip

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Danielle!

There are no all-inclusives in Hawaii ... except a super expensive one in Hana ... very isolated. Hawaii isn't the kind of place where visitors come and plop at a resort for the whole time. You'll need to rent a car ... and you are free to explore. Reserve your car ASAP.

If your frame of reference is Mexico or the Caribbean ... Hawaii isn't like that. Maui is great ... and I can't think of a true "mega" resort ... but generally medium-sized. When you start pulling up websites, look for the room count and amenities.

Take note that March and April are very popular on Maui ... visitors plan far in advance. It's whale season (March especially), and they put on a show! The week before and after Easter are popular, too. You'll want to pin down your accomodations now ... as prices will go up, and availability tightens.

My favorite spot is the Sheraton Maui on Ka'anapali Beach. Wonderful spacious grounds on an excellent beach. http://www.sheraton-maui.com/

I've traveled to Hawaii with a vegan niece ... and she had no trouble with food choices.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,809 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Maui for relaxing, low key ladies trip

You might look at the new Andaz in Wailea.............could be a great fit for you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Maui for relaxing, low key ladies trip

I would talk to KBM Realty about renting a 2 bed at Honua Kai, you have everything there, restaurant/bar, deli, 3 pools, luxurious accommodations, beach, you name it. That's what we did.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Maui for relaxing, low key ladies trip

Thank you for all the great advice and info! I will check these places out! In my research I read about the paia area and it seemed great. Any suggestions for that area or is a day trip visit best?

Maui
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Maui for relaxing, low key ladies trip

You might look at a condo down in Makena at the Makena Surf. The views from these units are fantastic. It also sits right on a very nice beach for swimming. You are farther down the road in south Maui.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,839 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Maui for relaxing, low key ladies trip

There really are not alot of accomodations choices in Paia. I'd day-trip it.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Maui for relaxing, low key ladies trip

Paia is a funky little town with a great health food store and good restaurants. The beaches near here are not the best for swimming. (See previous questions regarding this). I would keep this as a day trip.

For beaches, your best bet is going to be west or south Maui. There is a health food store in Kihei called Hawaiian Moons that has organic and a food/salad bar. It is about 20 minutes from Makena that I was suggesting.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,809 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Maui for relaxing, low key ladies trip

I rec Honua Kai a lot...........but in March/April it will likely have a lot of families--spring breaks run all the way through until late April.

If you want a condo I'd suggest looking at the Kapalua Bay Villas or the Kaanapali Ali'i.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Maui for relaxing, low key ladies trip

thanks so much everyone. this is great information. i'm finalizing dates this week and then will be booking the trip!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
187 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Maui for relaxing, low key ladies trip

The Kaanapali Alii is gorgeous. If you book there make sure you get an ocean view. Such a nice condo complex in a great location. Walking distance to restaurants shopping. I love that place.