We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaanapali Days 2 and 3

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kaanapali Days 2 and 3

Hello everyone, time for a short trip report. After all of the drama of getting here we are starting to settle in. Really the past two days have been very low key and this may be a little boring. Our second day was really our first since we didn't get to the condo until about 11pm. Rented our car with Alamo with no problems at all, we got a Chrysler convertible. We did the usual, I waited for the bags while hubby went to get the car. It's a great way to beat the line in the car rental area. It only took about 20 minutes and we were on our way. We made our usual stop at Safeway for the bare essentials...COFFEE and a few other things. Make sure to get a Safeway card to save a few dollars, we have had ours for years. One other thing to be aware of, the night we were at Safeway, they stopped selling alcohol at 11pm. The condo at the Whaler is amazing, 802, oceanfront with a wrap around lanai with incredible views of the ocean and the west Maui mountains. I have never stayed in a better stocked condo, everything here that you could ever need. A splurge for sure but since this is a special occasion for us we just went for it.

The day after we got here was really just a day to relax after a very long day. In total with a long layover it took about 19 hours to get here. We went for a walk on the wonderful pathway on Kaanapali beach and hit the Starbucks at the Marriott. Hung out by the pool, the temps here have been perfect, about 78-82 and the wind has really been whipping up. Later in the evening we went to the Hula Grill, one of my favorites. Another tip, it's always crowded and many times we sit at the area where they prepare the food, kind of a bar like area. It's great fun watching them prepare all of that wonderful food. You also get a punch card for sitting there and when it's full you get 60.00 off. I believe it's after you spend about 280.00 dollars. It's good from year to year. My hubby got the seafood chowder, very different from what you would think. It was loaded with lobster, fresh fish, and scallops in a coconut base. It was amazing! I had the macadamia nut crusted fish of the day from the chef's tasting menu. When you order from the chef's tasting menu which is 25.95 you get an appetizer, entree, and dessert. It was wonderful served with jasmine rice, goat cheese salad and pineapple upside down cake with caramel sauce. So good! After that it was back to the condo and to bed, we were exhausted.

Yesterday was again low key, pool time, then to the Maui Arts and Craft Fair at the Lahaina Civic Center, it is open most Sundays and kind of moves around the island on different days. I go every year and they have some wonderful things by local sellers. I bought some wonderful lavender loofa handmade soaps, had to get a couple of pieces of great jewelry. There is a local seller who is there every year and she has beautiful sterling and sea glass jewelry and EVERYTHING is 10.00, a fantastic deal. Back to the condo after another Safeway stop where we purchased two huge filet steaks, the biggest I have ever seen for 23.00. I think that's a great price and I am almost sure it came from one of the ranches here because of the way it was labeled. It's amazing how expensive some of the staples are, and at the same time the prices are pretty good on other things. Back to the condo to bbq the steaks, sat on the lanai and watched another amazing Maui sunset. The steaks were fantastic.

Today we plan to take my gown to have it steamed and drive to Makena Cove where the ceremony is being held and we may go upcountry for a while as well. Sorry nothing too exciting but it seems that each time we come we are a little more relaxed and don't have that "hurry, we need to go here, see that, do this" feeling. We just kind of take our time and try to relax. The past year has been a challenge for me, I picked up a nasty rare strep infection in Belieze one year ago that wiped out my adrenal and pituitary glands and I have struggled with that for a while so my energy level is not what it once was. I'm an ER RN and I have been off work for a long time due to this. So that makes me even more inclined to just take my time and relax. More to come. Those of you hit by this winter storm try to stay safe and warm. My parents are staying at our house with our cat, bob and they said we got over a foot of snow and temps are going to be below zero with wind chills of -30. A great time to be in Maui!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,508 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hula Grill Kaanapali
Hula Grill Kaanapali
5,903 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
775 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaanapali Days 2 and 3

Thanks for the report . . . you deserve a great trip.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaanapali Days 2 and 3

Sounds great nothing wrong with taking it easy we love chilling on Maui no need to rush here and there.

Did you buy the soap at the Nalu Koa booth? If so I love her stuff and her body cream is heavenly I am stocking up in May.

I have been having some issues with my legs I have not had the get up and go I used to it's frustrating I am getting several procedures done on my veins in the next couple months hopefully I will feel better and have more energy.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 17:54
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,654 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaanapali Days 2 and 3

Hope you have a wonderful, peaceful, rest of your vacation. And isn't it nice to be able to slow down and enjoy the magic of Maui. No pressure to try and see everything.

I hope that the healing powers of Maui surround you both, and give you the energy you need to enjoy this very special time.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaanapali Days 2 and 3

You're not kidding, a great time to be on Maui. We icebound mainlanders are enjoying every minute of your reports :)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,182 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaanapali Days 2 and 3

You picked a perfect time to go to Maui!! Thanks for reporting!! Would love to know how the Safeway steak was labeled, didn't know they sold local beef!!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaanapali Days 2 and 3

Pick bought a sea glass necklace that I believe was from the seller lovehawaii talked about in her trip report. It was $10 and on a chain that appeared to be sterling silver. I liked it very much and my friends did too so I was pleased with my purchase.

I wore on our RTH trip, a very long and sweaty day since we rented a convertible. The chain turned the sweat red and it stained my skin, my shirt, my hoodie, and even the rim of my hat a rusty red. I didn't notice it until I saw it on my hat rim. Most of it washed off but my expensive (for me) t shirt was ruined.

I suspect the chain is silver plate with a base metal underneath, after all $10 would be very cheap for sea glass and silver so I don't really feel cheated. I would however be cautious about buying from her again.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaanapali Days 2 and 3

You do need to be careful about buying sterling silver. I usually check mine and it was marked with the 925. I bought one last year as well. I'm sorry that happened to you. I spoke with another member who had a problem as well with this seller after my post. I did not mean to point anyone in the wrong direction, I just haven't had any problems with my purchase.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kaanapali Days 2 and 3

Uncmom, yes it was Nalu Koa. Her lotions and soap are amazing! I bought some last year and I was hoping she would be at the craft fair again.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kaanapali Days 2 and 3

Enjoying your reports so much! I am so happy you made it to Maui just fine and I believe your renewal ceremony is going to be beautiful. I am never bored reading the reports of the visitors that return again and again because they are similar to the times we now enjoy as folks that have returned enough to just relax and be there. I love the idea of checking out the beach before the ceremony and hope you had a great time upcountry! Deb

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kaanapali Days 2 and 3

Thanks Deb! You know as many times as we have been here we somehow missed ever seeing Makena Cove. We have been to the other larger beaches in the area, but never to the cove. It's pretty hard to find, just a small opening in a lava wall and no parking other than on the street so maybe that's why. It is beautiful but a word of warning. It is kind of difficult to get to, you have to climb down some pretty unstable large rocks to get to the beach. Anyone elderly or with mobility issues may have trouble. There are some tree branches to hold on to but that's about it. My hubby and I laughed about me trying to get down to the beach with a long dress on. Oh boy, we shall see.

Mentioned in this post
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
775 Reviews
Maui, HI