We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to avoid American Thanksgiving busy times

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Topic
Trying to avoid American Thanksgiving busy times

I'm booking my trip for this coming November, but a post on the forum mentioned that American Thanksgiving is a really busy time on Maui. I thought it was just one day holiday, but I guess people turn it into a week? I see that this year its on Thursday Nov 27th, so what's the busy week? Would it be Sat Nov 22 to Sun Nov 30?. So, I'd like to go as late in Nov as I can, but want to avoid crowds.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 16:14
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to avoid American Thanksgiving busy times

Yes people turn it into a week. Basically there is a mini tourist boomlet around the period you mention, possibly in to the next week, and then it dies off until middle of December and then peak season begins.

I think you would be fine if you left by the 21st.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to avoid American Thanksgiving busy times

Great. I'll book it for Nov 14th to the 21st.

Thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to avoid American Thanksgiving busy times

The holiday itself is Thursday, November 27. Many schools are out that week in the U.S. and families tend to take that whole week off for vacation. Folk will start arriving in droves on Friday, Nov 21 and that weekend.

Nov 14 through 21 will be fine. I prefer that week to the week after Thanksgiving.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to avoid American Thanksgiving busy times

Just wondering, why do you prefer the week before to the week after? Is it quieter? I hadn't really thought of the week after but now I'm considering it. I assume the kiddies would go back to school on the Monday Dec 1st, so that would be the beginning of the 'after' time period...from Dec 1st onward?

Edited: 08 January 2014, 16:13
Michigan
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to avoid American Thanksgiving busy times

I would go the week after Thanksgiving. Typically the time between Thanksgiving and around December 20 is a slow time of the year for most places but I can't specifically speak for Maui. It seems like everyone gets in the "holiday mode" then and doesn't travel until Christmas time.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to avoid American Thanksgiving busy times

Oh, I would go the week BEFORE Thanksgiving ... and often do.

LIke anywhere else, Hawaii pops into Christmas mode after Thanksgiving. Christmas music. Displays of palm trees with snow on them. It's like Anytown USA ... with a Santa in an Aloha shirt and shorts. I truly prefer to go to Hawaii to expereince Hawaii ... not a winter scene from New England.

Anyway - that is my preference. And your odds of rain increase as you get farther into our winter.

Edited: 08 January 2014, 18:17
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to avoid American Thanksgiving busy times

Well not too much Christmas (or too many people, although more than I expected) the week after Thanksgiving this year. We were there.

I was actually searching for Christmas decorations! I missed it!

California
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to avoid American Thanksgiving busy times

The period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the slowest time in Hawaii so go after Thanksgiving weekend if you can. Most people don't vacation during this period and no conventions are going on, all this equals the best prices and fewest people.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to avoid American Thanksgiving busy times

It is very, very quiet after Thanksgiving on Maui. Rates go up Dec 15th and it starts to get busy again the weekend before Christmas.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
365 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trying to avoid American Thanksgiving busy times

We went a few days before Thanksgiving 2 years ago and stayed for several days afterwards. I didn't see tons of people in the Ka'anapali area. It was fine. I didn't feel that anything was over crowded.