We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding at the Ritz Carlton- late August 2014

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wedding at the Ritz Carlton- late August 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get married at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua in late August 2014 and after reading some reviews, I'm concerned about the windy weather?

I have watched a few youtube videos to see how windy it can get and it looks like it varies.

Is it warm in the evenings in August?

I don't think I'd mind the wind as much as long as it was warm and not chilly…

Any recommendations on other resorts, similar to the Ritz?

I have made a comparison with the Four Seasons and everyone states how much more luxurious and beautiful the Ritz is.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,455 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding at the Ritz Carlton- late August 2014

August it is beautiful in Kapalua at the Ritz. Yes it can be a bit windy...but honestly it can be a bit windy anywhere on the island. You just never know. I was just there in Kapalua over the holidays and I was wishing for a bit more of a breeze some days. Have seen many weddings and vow renewals there and it's a beautiful place for it. Unless there is a real strange weather situation, you will not be chilly!

California
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding at the Ritz Carlton- late August 2014

Nothing wrong with the Four Seasons but don't change a thing. Kapalua is a beautiful place to have a wedding, wind or no wind. Don't bother second guessing your decision because it'll drive you crazy. I've stayed at Kapalua many times and have always loved it.

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding at the Ritz Carlton- late August 2014

We honeymooned at the Ritz in 2009 and yes, it was windy. But so were other places on the island. The grounds are beautiful and it's a quiet secluded area. It would be a beautiful place for a wedding.

I know someone who was married at the Marriott and it was beautiful as well.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding at the Ritz Carlton- late August 2014

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate the feedback

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding at the Ritz Carlton- late August 2014

The wind and changeable weather is a factor at the Ritz. Look at the trees they grown on a slant from prevailing winds.

Some brides use a ton of hair spray and deal with it and others get pretty jittery and stressed out.

Maui is famous for it's micro climates that change every couple of miles.

Tell us what you would prefer in climate and we can recommend an area with that general type of

weather.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,455 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding at the Ritz Carlton- late August 2014

Wondering if those big, tall trees were planted anywhere on the island if they'd be just as slanted...I've been down in Kaanapali as well as Wailea and had just as much wind as Kapalua . Thinking in August, when Maui can be at the hottest, a little breeze would be welcome. I also don't think that even with microclimates wind can be prevented or promised anywhere unless you were in a very protected area.

Anyway, I would not worry about your choice. Kapaula is at its best in the summer and it is beautiful. I've seen many happy brides and vow renewal participants there.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 14:14
Charlotte
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding at the Ritz Carlton- late August 2014

I was at the Ritz last August. I spent a week there, and another week down in Wailea. It was a totally different experience between the two locations. The wind at the Ritz did make it cold when you were lounging by the pool. So cold, in fact, that I had to cover up with beach towels. Down on the beach the wind kicks the sand up significantly. The Ritz as a resort is fabulous. The staff, the service--your normal Ritz experience. I booked at the Ritz after reading the comments on the wind. I assumed people exaggerated. They did not. I am going back to Maui for two more weeks this summer. I will not be staying in the Kapalua area....in spite of the fact that it where the Ritz is and that is my hotel of choice..

8. Re: Wedding at the Ritz Carlton- late August 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 05:17