We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 6 trip report!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
102 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Family of 6 trip report!

Hello!

I am not really a 'trip report' writer but I have enjoyed reading them so much I decided I would write a short and sweet trip report. So here goes: My family of 6 (myself, my husband, 16 year old daughter and her best friend, 10 year old daughter and 8 year old son) traveled to Maui on December 28th from Oakland via Hawaiian airlines. Our flight was nonstop and took about 4hrs 50 mins - the service was great and flight went smooth and fast.

We rented a mini van (which the girls were not thrilled about.. I think they expected an Escalade lol) from Alamo. There was no wait and got the car quickly.

We drove to our Kaanapali Shores condo and checked it out. It was a two bedroom~ nothing fancy or exciting but the price was right so it would work. We settled in and then took the quick drive to Safeway to stock up.

Our first night I had made reservations at Leilani's on the beach. It was not only our first night on Maui but also my birthday so of course we had to have Hula Pie!! It was a fantastic meal, with a wonderful view. After dinner we walked around Whalers Village and then headed to the condo and went to sleep.

The first full day on Maui was Sunday Dec 29, the only thing planned for this day was the Royal Lahaina Luau. We spent the day on Kaanapali beach ( we parked in a free parking lot next to Whalers village) because we didn't care for the section of beach at our condo. The kids had a great time boogie boarding, snorkeling around black rock and swimming. The girls got brave and did the jump off of black rock. They loved it! We had a great day relaxing and playing. ~ I picked the Royal Lahaina Luau because of the price. We have all been to luau's before but thought my daughter's friend should she one since it was her first trip to Hawaii. So, we went` it was okay nothing to write home about but I think everyone had a good time.

December 30th we spent the day at Wailea Beach. It was a little windy that day but was otherwise a beautiful day. We checked out the Four Seasons and GW... both very nice. However, we personally like staying on the west side because we felt it was closer to everything we wanted to see and do. We had lunch at Monkey Pod which was great and the headed back to Kaanapali.

Dinner was at Dukes and it did not disappoint.

So for the last day of the year we did the full day trip to Lanai with Trilogy. We had a great day. The girls LOVED IT! We saw lots of whales both going to Lanai in the morning and the return trip in the evening. The staff was amazing and very attentive. We all really enjoyed our day out with Trilogy. And our final sunset of the year from the Trilogy boat... A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! A wonderful way to end the year. After a long day we had a late dinner at Kimos and headed back to the condo.

January 1st!! So excited for the new year! We spent the day at Napili which we all loved. The girls relaxed and sunbathed and I snorkeled while my husband "played" with the younger kids. It was a great day- we had lunch at Maui Taco (which was okay) and dinner at Lelanis again (yes we liked it there).

January 2nd we headed back to Napili because we liked it so much! This day was pretty much a repeat of the day before! We had our family pictures taken this day at sunset at Kapalua Beach. It is a very beautiful setting and there were two other families and two weddings doing pictures as well!

Friday Jan 3: today we have a Molokini snorkel trip scheduled with Four Winds but wake up to rain! The trip is cancelled :( We thought about what to do but since it was gloomy and rainy we decided to be spontaneous and do the road to Hana. I warned the family that it would be a long day, and that we were leaving late.. it was 9 before we got going. So glad we went. Everyone had a great time! The kids enjoyed swimming under the waterfalls and the girls loved black sand beach. We had wonderful weather and turned out to be a wonderful day. Dinner was Pizza Paradiso.

Saturday Jan 4: we packed up our condo and headed to Kaanapali Ocean Beach Westin. We decided this would be a great way to end our trip. We got two rooms here for two nights and spent the next two days relaxing and playing at the pool (which is fantastic). We all really loved the Westin. The location was exactly where we would like to be - only down side for me is no washing machine. It was an easy walk over to Hula Grill for dinner and we ate dinner one night at the hotel.

On a side note__ my oldest daughter is celiac and we had no problems while we were on the island finding her food she could eat. I did pack her a lunch the day we went with trilogy but other then that she found something everywhere we went. The Westin's "Relish" even had gluten free bread for toast and Gluten free buns for burgers which was a nice treat.

Already planning our next Maui trip! We have been going to the Caribbean the last couple of years (and have a trip to Dominican Republic in June coming up)... but we will back to Maui! Sorry Maui you are stuck with my crazy family~ we fell in love and you cant get rid of us!!

Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 6 trip report!

Great report! Thanks for sharing!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 6 trip report!

And Maui's famous hook reels in another family! Thanks so much for the report, sounds like you had a terrific stay.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 6 trip report!

A belated Happy Birthday to you! Glad you got the Hula Pie! Did you manage to eat it all yourself, or did you share???

I am impressed that you managed to experience the RTH with the kids! When we stayed at the Ka'anapali Shores with our three teens, we didn't even bring up the RTH with them. There was no way I would take them on that road. So good for you guys!

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 6 trip report!

I love that Hawaii is such a quick non-stop flight from here. Makes travel so easy with kids in tow. Glad your family discovered the magic of Maui.

Pacific Northwest
Level Contributor
429 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 6 trip report!

Idream.... I think we share the same birthday! Happy birthday to you!

I cannot believe I, once again, did not have the Hula Pie. Always mean to, always forget. Dang it. Just another reason to go back, though, right?

Sounds like a good time for all and how nice for your daughter to bring along a friend. I'll bet she loved Maui!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 6 trip report!

Great trip report, thanks for posting!! We have been meaning to try the Hula pie....perhaps on our trip next month!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 6 trip report!

Love your report! We left the night of your family pictures but we didn't have to leave for the airport until after dark. You had the perfect night for pictures! Some of the sunsets had been to cloudy and blah, but that night it was amazing! Thank you for sharing your trip!

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 6 trip report!

thanks for the great report :) Sounds like very awesome trip for your family. My daughter really liked KS when we stayed there. Very smooth move choosing the rainy morning to head off to Hana. That's the way I've done it....if it's too nice of a day my gang always wants to stay on the beach :)

Also pleased you enjoyed Napili Bay. It's where we've settled after trying different places for a few years,

And yes, lots still to see and discover. Have fun planning your return.

Dave

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,054 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of 6 trip report!

Thank you so much for the report!! Sounds like a great time had by all!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
102 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of 6 trip report!

Thank you so much for everyone's kind comments.

I learned so much reading the forums before our trip that I really felt "prepared"- thank you for everyone's help and trip reports they are always fun to read!

Billie Jo - yes we share a birthday ;) Capricorn pride!

Always more to see next time-

Happy planning!!