We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay?

Hello,

I have trying to find information on what area to stay but cannot really find specific information.

I would like to rent a condo but also want to be close to restaurants, pubs etc. I do not want to be driving in the evening.

We do not mind being in the middle of the hustle and bustle.

If you can suggest an exact area where I should be trying to find a condo, it will be greatly appreciated.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay?

Please tell us when you are traveling and how many nights you will be on Maui. And what is your nightly accomodations budget?

Please read down through the Maui Forum, as this same question (conundrum?) comes up almost daily.

Do you have a good map of Maui? A good travel guidebook? What looks interesting to you?

What kind of activities are you planning to do on Maui?

FYI - no hustle and bustle on Maui. No major cities.

This website will give you aerial views and overviews of the various accomodations on Maui. While I don't trust the authors' evaluations (grading) - it is good basic information ... that you can use to move ahead and pull up websites.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

My personal preference is West Maui ... Ka'anapali area.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 23:27
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay?

What is your nightly budget in U. S. dollars, and when are you traveling?

West or south, that is where you want to be. If you put "west Maui or south Maui" into the search engine, you will find a ton of threads about this very dilemma.

We have stayed west twice, and south twice. It's all good. Ka'anapali offers a bunch of great restaurants, all within walking distance along the boardwalk.

Kihei has condos across the street from the Kam Beaches, and some on the ocean side. Again, lots of restaurants within walking distance.

What else are you hoping to do while on Maui? Nothing is very far on Maui, and the drive from south to west side can be 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the start and end places. It's a wonderful drive.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay?

""I would like to rent a condo but also want to be close to restaurants, pubs etc. I do not want to be driving in the evening.

We do not mind being in the middle of the hustle and bustle.""

The options are many, but taking you literally, that driving at night is not something you want to do, but having good restaurants close, screams Ka'anapali in W Maui.

Level Contributor
36,165 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay?

Honua Kai is a very nice condo complex. Duke's restaurant is on-site there also. :).

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay?

You might consider something right in Lahaina town for great walking access to many, many good restaurants, bars, shops and the harbor and historical sites as well. We enjoyed a few nights at Lahaina Shores last January, followed by a stay at Makena Resort (with shuttle to Wailea restaurants). It was a fun way to split.

Pull up your options using filters on vrbo, in Ka'anapali and Lahaina and Kihei too. Check out the locations on Google maps to see what's nearby. Then when you think you have some possibilities, post links to the units and people here can share their experience to help you narrow it down to what's right for you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay?

I am looking to travel at the end of March for 8 days. Budget around $100 per day.

Thanks for your input.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to stay?

Noooo.... your budget is way too low. And you are planning very late for a very, very busy (and competitive) season.

Keep in mind that there will be taxes, possibly resort fees, cleaning fees, parking fees ... and those are taxed as well.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to stay?

That is a hard one... end of March is still whale season.

Have you checked vrbo yet?

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…

I used the 23rd of March to the 30th, and came up with these places, SOUTH MAUI. You can do the same for WEST MAUI by changing the location. Still some places out there, if you are not fussy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area to stay?

I was basing my price on prior visits to Waikiki whre yiu can get a decent condo for $700 per week. I can bump my budget to $125 per night before taxes.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
367 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area to stay?

Yea it sounds like Lahaina would be a good fit for you but at $100 night don't expect much. Also look into Kihei. In doing budget trips I've often found a big difference between what $100/nt and $150/nt will buy you. Some of my friends have done the $69 waikiki hotel packages, but for me a trip to the islands is usually the highlight of the year so I'm going to max it out :)