We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snuba in Maui

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Snuba in Maui

Should we Snuba with Trilogy or Four Winds? Prices and experience seem comparable. Or is there a company that is even better?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snuba in Maui

Trilogy is the top company when it comes to snorkeling or snuba. Since I've been out with them, I can recommend them. Not so with Four Winds.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snuba in Maui

We've been on any number of snorkel trips when snuba was offered...I think you would be fine with either.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snuba in Maui

In addition to SNUBA you can also scuba. Most resorts have an introductory scuba dive. They train you in the pool and then take you on about 30 minute shallow beach dive. You will have more freedom with the scuba intro and think you can go down to 25ft so they can take you along a shallow reef.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snuba in Maui

There is another company that offers SNUBA. That's Aqua Adventure. We have used them twice and love them. It's a family run boat and the crew has always been great. They go above and beyond in my opinion.

www.mauisnorkelsnuba.com

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snuba in Maui

I snubaed with Trilogy and they were great. I discovered that Snuba was not for me, but the instructor was wonderful, patient, and put safety first.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Snuba in Maui

Unless you're physically unable to walk a few yards with a tank on your back I see no advantage to Snuba, and agree with John that you should also consider a resort course SCUBA dive.

There's often confusion among those with no diving experience, but Snuba *is* SCUBA diving. It offers all of the risks of any other method of SCUBA diving, along with the rewards. The key difference is that instead of wearing the tank, it floats on the surface, and you are tethered (some might say restrained) with a long air hose. You also won't have a buoyancy compensator, though that's not a big concern. I believe that Snuba typically limits maximum depth to about 20 feet, as opposed to 40 feet for a resort course SCUBA dive. Another difference is that the official Snuba policy seems to call for a 15 minute "safety briefing", whereas a resort course will typically spend about an hour teaching you what you need to know, and practicing basic skills.

As for those risks, diving is generally very safe but regardless of where the tank is it is possible to get killed or severely injured, almost always through your own ignorance or error. At the shallow depths of either Snuba or a resort course dive it's nearly impossible to get the "bends", but you are still subject to injury as a result of breathing compressed air, which will expand as you ascend. Never holding your breath prevents the air from expanding in your lungs, but as with other activities beginners sometimes forget the rules. That's more likely to happen when you get inadequate training, or if something causes you to panic. YMMV, but I think a bit more time learning and practicing is well worth it.

Perhaps it's also worth noting that if you take a resort course you can do multiple dives during your stay without having to repeat the instruction and practice. You'd need to do any repeat dives with the same outfitter, and there's a time limit (I think it's 10 or 14 days).

7. Re: Snuba in Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:18