We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Novice/intermediate Scuba Diving Recommendations

Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Novice/intermediate Scuba Diving Recommendations

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good dive for a novice/intermediate diver? I have my certification and have done about 6 dives. I know that's not a lot compared to you veterans out there, but most of the message boards relate to people trying to get an open water certification rather than go on a full day's dive. Any recommendations for someone who has dove before, is comfortable in the water, but is by no means an expert?

I am going to Maui for a wedding at the Four Seasons in Wailea in July. I would prefer not to drive too far from there, but I heard that the diving is decent in Lahaina? Any advice much appreciated!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Novice/intermediate Scuba Diving Recommendations

There are a number of dive boats that go out of the Kihei boat ramp not far from the 4S. They do a 2 tank dive usually dive 1 is Molokini say 50 to 80 ft 35 to 45 min. Vis say 150+ sharks, rays, eels, octopus, barracuda, reef fish, can be a drift dive or moored.

Dive 2 is usually a south coast dive 40 ft vis 50ish time 45+ Depending on air, sharks rays turtles. Almost always a drift dive.They can rent you everything usually about $140 out 6 to 6:30am back by 11am.

Tell them your experience level and they will work with you.

Lahaina diving is to Lanai good diving but longer day with drive and longer boat ride back to the 4s 1 to 2pm

Or you can do a guided 1 or 2 tank shore dive in south Maui. they are usually done by noonish if you do a shore dive would not use the resort. I have done the reef at 4S only so so. Also they mix in discovery scuba students and makes for a short dive

A dive shop can pick the best site based on conditions and there are better dive sites around

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Novice/intermediate Scuba Diving Recommendations

Forgot to mention. Some of my first open water dives were on Maui after certification. Did Molokini, water is warm, vis is terrific . Just relax working on buoyancy and breathing control and you should have a great time. The dive masters are used to working with newer divers

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Novice/intermediate Scuba Diving Recommendations

There is a great dive shop in Kihei. Maui Dreams, very professional shop.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Novice/intermediate Scuba Diving Recommendations

couldn't remember the name, thx But I did 2 beach dives with them couple of years ago and they were good

5. Re: Novice/intermediate Scuba Diving Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:19