We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must sees for 1st Time Maui for non-active 1-day cruisers

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
119 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Must sees for 1st Time Maui for non-active 1-day cruisers

Coming to Hawaii for the first time on our honeymoon (2 middle aged widowers who are NOT the hiking type, if you know what I mean.) We are in Maui for just 1 day off Princess Cruises (7 am to 6 pm), and wish to see some wonders, but don't know what to see. We don't want the "all day in a bus or van", such as the Road to Hana.. but we aren't built for strenuous activities either.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must sees for 1st Time Maui for non-active 1-day cruisers

Where are you docking? Kahului or Lahaina? It makes a big difference.

What other excursions is the ship offering? That list will give you an idea of what fits in your timeframe.

(And congratulations!!)

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
119 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must sees for 1st Time Maui for non-active 1-day cruisers

Lahaina. We are leaning toward a day at the beach to relax and snorkel off the beach. Does the Sheraton all you to buy a guest pass for the day?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,353 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must sees for 1st Time Maui for non-active 1-day cruisers

Rent a car! http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/ offers pier pick up for ship passengers. Drive about 15 minutes north and park at Whaler's Village...shopping, dining and a gorgeous beach are all right there.

No day passes at the Sheraton or any of the other resorts but the beach is free.

Another idea is to head Upcountry for a very different "take" on Maui tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k686310…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Must sees for 1st Time Maui for non-active 1-day cruisers

I agree with Mamma, upcountry is a beautiful spot inn Maui. Lots to see and beautiful scenery. The beach and snorkelling is also a great way to spend the day. If you are into shopping you certainly could spend the day on Front street in Lahaina and be sure to stop at the famous Banyan tree.

Cheryl

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must sees for 1st Time Maui for non-active 1-day cruisers

The other thing you can do if you drive north to Kaanapali...drive further north through Kapalua all the way to the Nakalele Blowhole. Beautiful scenery...no need to hike down to blowhole...view it from above. Then turn around and drive back to spend time at beach in Kaanapali. You will see a very beautiful coastline just doing that drive to see a bit of Maui.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Must sees for 1st Time Maui for non-active 1-day cruisers

At the Sheraton you can rent a beach Cabana. You do not have to be a guest. Last time I checked they were $125 for they day. Can't swim in the pool, but they give you towels, you can use the restrooms, there are casual places to eat right at the pool. You can make a day of it. We have done it several times. Think they book up quickly and we have been able to make reservations in advance

Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must sees for 1st Time Maui for non-active 1-day cruisers

I agree with travelbugged4 - the drive north is my favourite part if the island. You will see some beautiful scenery and still have lots of time to relax on the beautiful beach by the Sheraton.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must sees for 1st Time Maui for non-active 1-day cruisers

If snorkeling is what you want to do then I would rent a car and go north to at least Kapalua Bay and snorkel there. Perhaps after than head down to Kahekili Beach Park which has a large FREE parking lot, restrooms, showers, grassy area with picnic tables. You could even walk down the beach a bit and have lunch at Castaway's. Time permitting, I would go down to the Sheraton or explore Lahaina.

LA
Level Contributor
10,036 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Must sees for 1st Time Maui for non-active 1-day cruisers

With 9 days on the cruise ship from LA, I would not get into a car and drive around. I would get to a beach and do some swimming and snorkeling.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,723 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must sees for 1st Time Maui for non-active 1-day cruisers

The cruise ships that stop in Lahaina often offer as one of their excursions a day trip to Black Rock which is the beach that fronts the Sheraton. And they usually bring along a pile of beach chairs to use. Be sure to check with your cruise line if they have this excursion. Not sure if it includes use of the Sheraton pools, but you can certainly enjoy their beachfront bar and grill. They serve up the best Rumrunner on the planet there :-) And from Black Rock you are an easy 5 minute walk up the beach to the shops and Restaurants of Whalers Village.