We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help to decide on Hana with teenagers!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Need help to decide on Hana with teenagers!!

We are 2 families with 5 teenagers combined and are heading to Maui for 7 nights before heading to Waikiki/North Shore. We are wanting to mix it up a bit and see different sides of the island, so were thinking of 5 nights in Kaanapali, then our last 2 nights in Hana before driving back for an afternoon flight. Is this a good plan? We are going in December, so were not sure if the weather in Hana will be bad and we will be stuck in Hana with no TV and 5 grumpy teens! We need help as we are first-timers from Australia..

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help to decide on Hana with teenagers!!

December in Hana will be iffy. It could rain all day every day or be just as nice as can be. You always take your chances when going to this area in the winter months. I also wouldn't chance a drive back from Hana on the day I plane to fly out. The road can and does close for rock slides etc. For a change of pace on Maui, think about heading to south Maui where if there is good weather this is where you will find it!!

Maui
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help to decide on Hana with teenagers!!

I would say you will have rain in Hana. It usually rains in the east side (Hana) at some point at least once a day. That is why it is so lush and green. I was there in June and it rained in the morning for a bit. The exception is a storm. It is warm though, so you will end up taking your rain jacket on and off!

There is television reception over there, and you would have T.V. and probably DVD player. I would plan a day trip over to the Oheo Gultch, the seven pools. There is a bamboo forest hike on the mountain side of the road called the Pipiwai trail. It is 4 miles round trip. It is part of Haleakala Park. If you drive to the crater, also Haleakala Park, save your parking/entrance fee to use again. Not sure if it is a 3 day or 5 day ticket.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help to decide on Hana with teenagers!!

Thanks for the advice - do you think it is worth the drive over for even 1 day with the 9 of us though?

Maui
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help to decide on Hana with teenagers!!

What time is your flight? Without stopping you should plan on approx. 3 hours.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help to decide on Hana with teenagers!!

1pm in the afternoon

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help to decide on Hana with teenagers!!

We took 15 of a group, all in different vehicles of course on a day trip to Hana. One group left earlier than we did to drive straight to Oheo Gulch to hike the Pipiwai Trail. The rest of us left an hour or so afterwards (about 6:00am) to take a leisurely drive, stopping to see the sights then met up with the rest of the group at Oheo Gulch for a picnic lunch. We did have 2 14 year old boys that had a blast. They went with the hiking group then played in the pools at Oheo Gulch. This was at the end of April though!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help to decide on Hana with teenagers!!

Don't try to do a drive to Hana on the same day as flying out, you won't see a thing. It would be nothing but a fly by!!

The ticket is within a 3 day period.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 22:41
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,927 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help to decide on Hana with teenagers!!

<<We are going in December, so were not sure if the weather in Hana will be bad and we will be stuck in Hana with no TV and 5 grumpy teens!>> This is altogether possible.

<<do you think it is worth the drive over for even 1 day with the 9 of us though?>> That's completely up to you. Perhaps include it on your itinerary ... and have a Plan B should the weather turn bad.

Remember - Hana is not the attraction. The Road is the attraction.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 22:47
Maui
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help to decide on Hana with teenagers!!

You would need to leave Hana approx. 6-7 am. I understand msfuzz's concern regarding a road closure. Personally, that would not be a deciding factor to not go. Could it happen, maybe. Will it, probably not.

I would say a day trip is fun. You can do all of the stops on the way. If you wish to do the Pipiwai hike, it is better to stay over. I think the road to Hana wins over the road from Port Douglas up the Daintee region. Much prettier.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help to decide on Hana with teenagers!!

Ok, thanks for all of your replies. I am now thinking we should factor in a day trip somewhere in the middle of our 7 nights. We will stay 5 ngihts in Kaanapali (looking at Kaanapali Royal) and then find a place for 2 nights in South Maui for a change of pace. Sound good?