We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Maui @ Makena Beach - nearby dining suggestions?

philadelphia
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Topic
5 nights in Maui @ Makena Beach - nearby dining suggestions?

We are squeezing in 3 islands during our 15 night Hawaiian vacation in April, ending in Maui for 5 nights - so far booked at the Makena Beach resort. We arrive in Maui on Monday around noon and fly out on a Saturday @ 1pm.

Our wishlist in Maui includes

- sunrise @ Haleakala

- explore Lahaina town (enjoying a meal in Lahaina)

- Road to Hana

We chose Makena for the price & also for the quiet, but my only hesitation with the resort is we enjoy nice restaurants and drinks but a lot of the places we were looking at are almost an hour away in Lahaina (including the luau we were looking at), which I don't think we'll want to do after a dinner more than maybe once.

It looks like Nick's fish market is nearby. Are there any other dinner places not so far I could look into? What about in Wailea where the resorts shuttle goes?

Thanks for any info. The info on the Hawaii forum has been great in planning.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Maui @ Makena Beach - nearby dining suggestions?

The Makena resort shuttle will take you wherever you request in Wailea.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_loc=Wailea-Makena%2C+HI&find_desc=Restaurants#start=20

Check out this list of restaurants, though I would ignore the rankings.

We enjoy MonkeyPod Kitchen, and there are others in the Wailea Gateway Center, lots of good restaurants in the resorts at Wailea, Gannon's on the golf course for great views, and also Mulligan's with OK food and great shows. See Willie K at Mulligan's if you can. He is fantastic!

Eat some lunches in Lahaina and Paia as you get out and explore the island. You'll have a wonderful time!

Edited: 12 January 2014, 03:11
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,393 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Maui @ Makena Beach - nearby dining suggestions?

All of Maui's top rated hotels are in Wailea excepting The Ritz in Kapalua. Andaz is the newest. Each hotel has at least one restaurant with fine dining. There are several restaurant choices at Shops At Wailea (upscale mall). Gannon's and Five Palms have views and serve B,L,D. Capische? is fine dining at a hotel above Wailea. If indeed Willie K is at Mulligan's on the Blue while you're here, do that. He also appears in Lahaina... at Kimo's (?) Do a lunch in Lahaina or Kapalua and (maybe) a luau there. I think Grand Wailea has a decent luau, and you wouldn't have to drive 'home' 45 minutes in the dark from Lahaina. I wouldn't push it for BOTH RTH and Haleakala on only a five day stay. You might hit Mama's Fish House for a lunch on arrival. Iao Valley is a quick peek at heavily tropical scenery if you skip Hana. Remember to RELAX a little!

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Maui @ Makena Beach - nearby dining suggestions?

Yup, lots of big resorts in Wailea that have restaurants on site. Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, the Andaz, Marriott, Fairmont.

We enjoy Amasia at the Grand Wailea, Monkeypod Kitchen at the Wailea Gateway Center, cocktails at the Lehua Lounge, and dinner outside by the pool at Morimoto Maui. The latter two are at the new Andaz in Wailea.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 03:42
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,407 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Maui @ Makena Beach - nearby dining suggestions?

Cheeseburgers is also in the Shops at Wailea. Fairly good prices and food. Also inside the Shops is Whalers General Store that has a good deli. Lapperts Ice Cream shop,is there too plus an ABC Store. Once you get into Kihei you will have numerous options. I like the food at the MBGR also!!

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Maui @ Makena Beach - nearby dining suggestions?

Three of our favourites in south Maui are:

Sarentos on the Beach is a great little place, and can offer a romantic atmosphere if seated outside for the sunset.

Monkeypod has great food and service; however, it is energetic and is not a good place to go if you're looking for a quiet, relaxing dinner. It's great for groups and with kids though.

Capsiche is a great restaurant, romantic fine dining and a quite a bit pricier ( the mushroom risotto was amazing)!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in Maui @ Makena Beach - nearby dining suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the responses, making a list!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,240 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights in Maui @ Makena Beach - nearby dining suggestions?

5 Palms too! It is right next to Sarento's on the Beach. I don't think the shuttle will take you that far though???

But there is a bus stop right outside the Mana Kai/Surfside entrance. $2.00 each to get on the bus. Well... that was silly, as I don't know how far the bus goes! It must go to the Shops at Wailea though, and then you can call the shuttle!

The wonderful thing about Sarento's and 5 Palms is that they are located on beautiful Keawakapu Beach! No facilities there, just beautiful sand, beautiful sunsets!

8. Re: 5 nights in Maui @ Makena Beach - nearby dining suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:18