We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary critique, please.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
236 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary critique, please.

First, thank you to all who post here. I have spent hours reading and researching for our week long trip in March. These forums are essential to our trip planning.

Second, a little background...

This is our first trip to Hawaii (and possibly our only one to Maui as we tend not to revisit places - although from reading I realize we may fall in love with Maui :-).

We are a couple in our early 40's with no kids.

We are teachers, so this trip is for R&R.

We love to hang out on the beach with a book, eat good food and snorkel.

Typically need a little exercise each day with a run or a hike.

We have already ruled out Upcountry and Haleakala as I want to do the Road to Hana as our big excursion and even that amount of time in a car is a stretch for my husband.

We are staying at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel.

Itinerary Plan

Day 1 - Fri - We land at 5:30 so I figure straight to the hotel and catch a bite to eat on site and pour ourselves into bed.

Day 2 - Sat - Rent beach chairs and boogie boards for the week (we have our own snorkel gear). Spend the day on our beach. Check out Whaler’s Village, etc. Snorkel Black Rock

Day 3 - Sun - Road to Hana, weather permitting

Day 4 - Mon - Beach day. But check out the Farmers Market in the morning. Maybe snorkel at Airport Beach in the morning then return to our beach for the afternoon

Day 5 - Tue - explore southern beach areas….head to La Perouse and Malu'aka Beach and work north from there. Try to head out pretty early and snorkel and/or boogie board at the beaches along the way.

Day 6 - Wed - Spend Day on our beach. Possibly Iao Needle in the morning. Feast at Lele - booked already.

Day 7 - Thu - Go north to Honolua Bay and Kapalua Bay in the am to snorkel and check out DT Fleming for boogie boarding in the afternoon. (This could include a drive north towards the blowhole).

Day 8 - Fri - Departure Day flight leaves at 11:15 am

I am also considering on our beach days to snorkel a different beach in the north each morning and then spending the afternoon on our own beach.

We will also go to Lahaina once or twice in the evening for people watching/shopping

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary critique, please.

Sounds great to me. Just remember to be flexible if the surf in a certain area isn't good for snorkeling. Generally speaking if it's bad in one area it will be good in another.

Unless there is an island wide storm, your weather should be ok for your Hana journey. Remember too that it is a rain forest and on the windward side so rain is typical, just not large, long downpours!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary critique, please.

It looks wonderful to me! I am not do much into itineraries as I am into knowing what I want to do in each area and how to make everything work together so we can see as much as possible in a relaxed way. Be flexible about the days and you will have a wonderful trip. Good you realize you may be back......lol!!! I also like to have a list of restaurants we want to try. And I hope you enjoy the KBH.....we did. Have fun! Deb

Edited: 12 January 2014, 17:31
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary critique, please.

The whales!!!!! You will be there during whale season, and I didn't see any whale watching tours booked. That is the only thing I would change. And while you will see them from shore (pack binoculars), and most likely hear them while snorkeling, it is wonderful to be out on the water on Maui. You can book a snorkel trip or a sunset trip, and that will double for whale watching, given the time of year, but I do hope you can book at least one whale watch.

There are three that leave right from Ka'anapali Beach, in front of your hotel! Trilogy is one of them, then Gemini and Teralani. Others leave from Lahaina Harbour, Ma'alaea, and in Kihei as well.

Have a wonderful time!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary critique, please.

Very good point Joan.......I totally agree!!! Deb

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary critique, please.

Nice hike at La Perrouse. It is called the King's Highway. Takes you through the last lava eruption along the water down onto the beach usually find a wild goat heard there. Trail goes for miles but you can turn around anytime. Good shoes lots of water. Kula Lodge is a nice place for lunch on your crator day. Spectacular views good food

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary critique, please.

yes, when you say you love "to hang out on the beach with a book, eat good food and snorkel." I think it *is* safe to say you will be back :)

And yes, you've got some great things covered. Black rock, farmers market, Kapalua, Honolua. As a matter of fact, you're itinerary sounds like one of mine :)

I do like to take a trip down south and yes, Maluaka is not to be missed. Find the parking on the south end as you want to snorkel the left side.

I'd try to get down and in the water as early as possible....Oh and you might start just to the south at the dumps a gorgeous coral reef there (as there is at Maluaka as well).

Oh and we always stop for lunch at Coconuts when in South Maui.,.... Have a great trip

Dave

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,154 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary critique, please.

Just as msfuzz and Deb said, be flexible according to weather and ocean conditions, and it sounds wonderful!

* edit - I typed this response then got interrupted before I posted. I see lots more replies now so I may be repeating. Oh, well, if I am, then it's good information, right?! ;-)

You are missing only one important thing, especially in March - get out on the water! There are whale watches for $35 and you do NOT want to miss out on the opportunity to see these amazing creatures up close and personal!

I would take a day earlier in your trip to head north to head north to Honolua and Kapalua. Whenever the weather and ocean conditions there look good, jump on that day. In March the water and weather there can be volatile. We have a week in Kapalua planned for March, but we know that if conditions there aren't the best for beach and snorkeling we'll be driving south on any given day. Also, you may find that afternoons at the beach are windier than you like. You might decide to do some hiking, sight seeing, shopping, hanging at the pool or even napping in the afternoons when the wind comes up. Just be prepared to check the weather and go with the flow. You'll have a blast!

Edited: 12 January 2014, 17:55
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary critique, please.

Teri, great minds....

Kula Lodge is mentioned in Post #5. You mentioned in your original post that you are not going Upcountry or Haleakala in favour of the RTH, but do keep the place in mind if you decide to head up there.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary critique, please.

Sounds like a great time! When we drove the RTH last January, we stopped the car often, got out, took pictures, had a small hike, etc., so that helps the driver a lot. Bring a picnic to enjoy at Wainapanapa State Park or, even better, buy some huli huli chicken from the guys who set up on the side of the road!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
236 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary critique, please.

Wow - Thanks so much everyone for your input. It is nice to know I am no the right track with my planning.

I realized while out for a run after posting that I had forgotten to mention in the original post that this was the "plan" but flexible based on weather - thank you for the reminders to that effect. Ideally, we'd like to alternating restful vs busy days, but will be mindful of weather.

teri s - thanks for the tip about going north as soon as the weather looks right. I had it in mind to maybe try earlier in the trip as a morning excursion - it really isn't far. As far as winds in the afternoon - hoping they will be right for boogie boarding which we also love to do.

letsgo - you mentioned food. I have another huge list of places to eat. I plan another post for a critique on that as well ;-)

peacenik - you mentioned Coconuts - it is on the "must eat" list.

Okay, I will revisit the whale watching thing. I have seen orcas on a whale wathc in the San Juans and it was amazing! but I hadn't planned on in Maui because husband has a tendency towards seasickness and he said he wasn't interested. Thought maybe we'd see enough from shore. Or he would change his mind once we got there - but maybe then they'd be booked. Well, anyway I will do some more research there. I like the idea of a sunset trip so it doesn't cut into our beach time and if the husband gets sick won't ruin the whole day.