We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gasoline-buy from car rental or fill yourself?

Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Gasoline-buy from car rental or fill yourself?

Does anyone have recent experience with gasoline choices for a rental car? My guess is that I'd do better (I can use Costco) filling myself before return as opposed to buying the gas in the tank upon rental.

Can anyone report recent gasoline prices on Maui?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
486 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gasoline-buy from car rental or fill yourself?

Buying the tank from the rental car place is always a bad deal. They charge you for the full capacity of the tank, but it's impossible to bring it back that low (you'd be rolling in on fumes). I don't know what the Maui gas prices are right now, but the rental car company would have to give me the full tank at 40% off Costco gas price to make it worth it to buy it.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gasoline-buy from car rental or fill yourself?

Always fill the tank yourself. You'll never "guess right" and return it exactly on empty. Either you leave a few gallons in the tank, and lose the money, or you run out of gas... Either way, you lose. There are plenty of gas stations on the way to the airport, pick one, fill up, and drop off. No worries and the airport is only a mile or so from the gas stations.

Also, always check to see if the tank is full, when you pick up. Sometimes it's only 3/4 or 1/2. Make sure they fill it for you.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 20:00
United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gasoline-buy from car rental or fill yourself?

For recent gas prices, try:

http://www.hawaiigasprices.com/

Edited: 13 January 2014, 20:02
San Jose
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gasoline-buy from car rental or fill yourself?

Yea, I'll just fill again. There is a place on the correct side of the road just a few blocks from the airport.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gasoline-buy from car rental or fill yourself?

NEVER buy gas from the rental company. You can do better elsewhere, and it's nigh on impossible to actually return the car empty, so you're paying for gas you don't use.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gasoline-buy from car rental or fill yourself?

The other good thing about filling up yourself Costco is only minutes from the airport, last month when we were there Costco gas was around $3.89

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gasoline-buy from car rental or fill yourself?

I Agree with the others, never buy your gas from the car rental. You are never going to be able to return on empty.

Always a dispute with my wife. She finds it convenient to just rerun the car. I find it be be a waste of money. She always rolls her eyes...

Gas at the end of Dec was 4.19 a gallon.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gasoline-buy from car rental or fill yourself?

Gas price last week (Jan 8-10):

Costco was 3.95 a gallon

Other places were from 4.15-4.35 a gallon

Canada
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gasoline-buy from car rental or fill yourself?

The Fuel option is one of the Car rental companies' biggest money makers. Decline the Fuel option, and bring the car back Full.

Clearly there are still some weary folks at the counter that will succumb to the "convenience speech" by the commission based agent......but as others have mentioned Just say NO!

The advantage is to the car company every single time, plus you spend the last few days driving around with your eye on the gas gauge....not great.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gasoline-buy from car rental or fill yourself?

We always fill up at a 76 or Chevron station in Kihei before we return the car. Much less busy than the stations near the airport and the tank still shows full when you return it.