We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I will be in Maui in 11 days and I need help with my plans!

michigan
Level Contributor
86 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
I will be in Maui in 11 days and I need help with my plans!

I have waited until the last minute! I haven't planned much. The only thing we have booked is a whale watching tour with Trilogy and dinner at Mama's Fish House the last night before we catch our red eye flight home. My husband and I typically spend our vacations lounging by the pool and beach. So, we definitely plan on doing a lot of that. But, having never been to Hawaii, I want to see the sights that Maui has to offer.

Our trip is 10 days. 2 of those are travel days, so we have 8 solid days of fun time! I would like to have 1 activity for 4-5 of those days. So, whale watching is 1,and Road to Hana is 2. We are thinking Haleakala will be 3. But, do most people do the bike tour? hike? or drive? What do you guys recommend? What should activity numbers 4 and 5 be?

We are staying in Wailea, for reference. I would love to hear what a few more must-do activities are from you Maui regulars.

Thanks in advance!

Hawaiian Paddle Sports
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Pacific Whale Foundation
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Redline Rafting Co.
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Aloha Kayaks Maui
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,882 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I will be in Maui in 11 days and I need help with my plans!

Do you have your rental car already booked? Just checking.

Do you guys snorkel or dive? Any other particular activities?

I would drive to Haleakala myself and explore as much as you desire.

A luau perhaps, if you haven't been to Hawaii before. Old Lahaina Luau or perhaps Feast of Lele - do book asap.

Don't worry about not having everything booked - just enjoy! :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I will be in Maui in 11 days and I need help with my plans!

Yes to Road to Hana and Haleakala. The vast majority of visitors drive to the summit. Bike tours, well, I wouldn't do it but others do.

Do you snorkel? Shore snorkeling in south Maui right now should be very good. Great places all around Wailea and Makena for that.

Drive down to LaPerouse Bay, the sight of the last lava flow on Maui. It's incredible.

Visit Big Beach (aka Makena State Park) for whale watching. Surf break is very dangers, don't get in the water unless you are a very experienced swimmer.

michigan
Level Contributor
86 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I will be in Maui in 11 days and I need help with my plans!

we have a rental car. maybe some light snorkeling, near the hotel, is about all i have the guts to do! i am a little afraid of the ocean.

we are SO on the fence about a luau. we are major foodies, and dont want to miss an opportunity for a great dinner by going to a luau one night, because i hear that the food is just ok at luaus. but is the show worth it? if so, i will go ahead and book the feast at lele.

at haleakala, what do people do? i am totally uninformed, besides hearing about the early morning bike rides.

michigan
Level Contributor
86 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I will be in Maui in 11 days and I need help with my plans!

LaPerouse Bay sounds interesting. is there still lava?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I will be in Maui in 11 days and I need help with my plans!

Drive down to LaPerouse Bay, the sight of the last lava flow on Maui. It's incredible.

Agree with MSFuzz. In fact, there is a trail that makes a nice hike through the lava fields there is a small blow hole takes you right down on the water with a nice view of the backside of Molokini.

There is a concrete ocean walkway that connects all the resorts in Wailea, great views, good exercise, can resort hop

. Try a discover scuba dive or SNUBA on a snorkel trip

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I will be in Maui in 11 days and I need help with my plans!

Ooooppps skip the scuba

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I will be in Maui in 11 days and I need help with my plans!

Yes there is miles of lava with a trail. Start out at the parking lot, through the lava field, past the blow hole , down to the beach, usually see wild goats there then back up the lava fields out to the east end of Maui where there is a small automated light house. You can go to google maps Maui and follow Makena Rd all the way south and you can see the satellite view of the lava fields. I think it is 3 miles to the end

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I will be in Maui in 11 days and I need help with my plans!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k711203…

This is a current thread about biking down Haleakala ... and within it is another link to an even better thread.

It dangerous ... people get hurt, die ... and have a miserable time. No matter how much advertising these bike tours buy ... the road conditions are still terrible. Riding on a soft shoulder on hair pin turns.

If you decide to do this, check with your insurance company about coverage out of the area, emergency care and emergency medical transport. Trip insurance overall may be a good idea.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 03:15
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I will be in Maui in 11 days and I need help with my plans!

First time I went to Haleakala. Saw the bikers and said wow that looks dangerous and not fun. History has proved that true as far as the dangerous part accidents and a couple of fatalities over the years. You share the same curvy road as the cars but some people rave about it and have had so great time.

michigan
Level Contributor
86 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I will be in Maui in 11 days and I need help with my plans!

well that is all i need to hear in regards to biking at haleakala! we will take a pass on that one for sure. we do have a convertible, so we will drive up there, and just enjoy the views.

i booked feast at lele just now. so one more activity for the books.

thanks, you guys, for being so helpful :)