We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleakala National Park/Blow Hole/Road to Hana

Huron, South Dakota
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Haleakala National Park/Blow Hole/Road to Hana

We are going to be in Maui April 6-12 on our honeymoon. Both first-timers. We are staying in Kaanapali. I've read many TA reviews and have decided we are definitely going to do the Road to Hana. I also want to see the Haleakala National Park and the blow hole. Question though... is the blow hole INSIDE the National Park, or how do you get there? Should we do the RTH, turn around and come back to do the National Park? Make them two seperate trips? I've looked at the map and read that you really shouldn't travel south of Hana in a rental car. What should we do?

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleakala National Park/Blow Hole/Road to Hana

Nakalele Blowhole is north of Kapalua, closer to West Maui. Not near Haleakala.

It will be about a 30 minute drive from Kaanapali.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29220-d67…

https:/…

www.yelp.com/biz/nakalele-blowhole-kahakuloa

Edited: 14 January 2014, 22:57
Huron, South Dakota
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleakala National Park/Blow Hole/Road to Hana

So, we should stop to see the blow hole on the way to the Road to Hana then, correct?

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleakala National Park/Blow Hole/Road to Hana

No, from Kaanapali, you would head south then east going towards Kahului to get to the RTH., The blowhole is north of you - above Kapalua. Another beautiful drive, but the opposite direction :)

dave

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haleakala National Park/Blow Hole/Road to Hana

Jamie ... do you have a map of Maui? A good travel guide?

The Road to Hana is a good 12-hour day. Haleakala ... also takes considerable time. You will not be able to both on the same day.

The blow hole is NORTH of Ka'anapali. Haleakala and the Road to Hana are both accessed through Kahului - the same town where your plane lands. You will drive SOUTH and then EAST.

If you trying to go to the blow hole the same day as Haleakala or the Road to Hana ... you'd be heading the wrong way. The blowhole is much closer to Ka'anapali, too.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 23:08
United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haleakala National Park/Blow Hole/Road to Hana

What peacenik & BLBL said.

Also even if you wanted to take the "back way around West Maui," to get to Kahuilui, that stretch of highway is closed... tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k708631…

Edited: 14 January 2014, 23:09
Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Haleakala National Park/Blow Hole/Road to Hana

No, it's not on the way. Much of that route violates your rental car agreement and it's under construction.

Hana and Haleakala are great choices. Much more than the blow hole. The blow hole is kind cool and can be seen safely, but not a deal breaker or maker.

Leaving from Kaanapali, you won't be able to continue on past the blowhole to either Hana or Haleakala without likely violating your rental agreement, going through a construction zone you're not welcome in and it will take up valuable time you need to Hana or Haleakala.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,404 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haleakala National Park/Blow Hole/Road to Hana

Here is the thread to get you a good map. They will mail it to you.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k5693308…

It will help you a lot with your planning, and then you can see what "we" are talking about.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haleakala National Park/Blow Hole/Road to Hana

Jamie - they are 3 separate trips - best done on 3 separate days. The blowhole drive doesn't take very long, but is very scenic.

Maps with directions to each:

1) Kaanapali to the blowhole (return the same way as the road past the blowhole is dangerous, and currently section of it are closed): http://goo.gl/maps/zl13I

2) Kaanapali to Haleakala summit: http://goo.gl/maps/JKTMR

3) Kaanapali to Oheo Gulch (the Road to Hana): http://goo.gl/maps/H37ri

Edited: 15 January 2014, 00:22
Huron, South Dakota
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Haleakala National Park/Blow Hole/Road to Hana

Thank you all. I have looked at a couple different maps and read threads that talked about the road closure, but I didn't realize this was the road. I also wasn't sure where you entered the national park so I didn't know if the Hana/Park day was a good idea or not. We will split them up for sure. Maybe we will go to the blow hole one afternoon. I ordered a couple different guide books, but we haven't received them yet. Looking forward to that.

My fiance would like to know if he can get a bacon cheeseburger anywhere on Maui.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haleakala National Park/Blow Hole/Road to Hana

Invest in a good Maui book to get your way around the island down before going.