We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airfare to ogg

Story City, Iowa
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
airfare to ogg

If we plan to travel in Sept or October, when is the best time to purchase

airline tickets? Probably depart from Chicago. Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airfare to ogg

Check all your options before buying just one ticket from Chicago. I bought 4 tickets roundtrip tickets from DFW-SMF and then 4 tickets from SMF-OGG for less then four tickets from Dfw-OGG on the non-stop.....you'd be suprised on how much You can save.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airfare to ogg

Check all your options before buying just one ticket from Chicago. I bought 4 tickets roundtrip tickets from DFW-SMF and then 4 tickets from SMF-OGG for less then four tickets from Dfw-OGG on the non-stop.....you'd be suprised on how much You can save.

Calgary
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: airfare to ogg

Maybe I'm missing something but did you just post that the milk run is cheaper than a direct flight? I think you'll find that is true in all cases.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airfare to ogg

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trave…

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,874 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airfare to ogg

Jwille, welcome to the Maui TA forum! I always love to see a new Iowan around here. September and October are low season, so you should be able to get good fares. I would start watching fares now just to get a feel for them. We usually find pretty good fares somewhere between 4 and 2 months out from travel time in low season. I don't know if this is a fluke, but we have found some good fares on a Friday night. We booked Cedar Rapids to OGG for $599 roundtrip last year on a Friday night, and the fare was gone the next day.

I would also recommend you look at flying out of DesMoines. You will probably not pay much more than you would from Chicago. And you'll have gas and expensive long term parking at ORD. You would have a long miserable drive back from Chicago to Story City after your tiring return flight, usually overnight. I am always so happy to only have 20 minutes to drag myself back home after that sad return from Hawai'i. Or maybe you have friends or family you could stay with in Chicago before or after your trip? Have you compared tickets from DesMoines versus Chicago?

I'm not sure what Mookster meant. Yes, a nonstop from Chicago will cost more. And ORD to OGG nonstop is hard to come by anyway. You'll probably have at least 2 legs even flying out of ORD. If he meant to break up your ticket with different airlines, I wouldn't do that. You never know when the airlines will change your flight times or have delays. If your flights aren't on the same ticket you are out of luck if your first flight doesn't get you to your connection on time.

Right now I'm sitting in this miserable Iowa weather and dreaming of Maui, watching my recording of our Iowa boy, Zach Johnson winning the Kapalua golf tournament there last week. Maui is so beautiful!!! Is that what inspired you to plan a trip to Maui? Is it your first trip there? Bet it won't be your last! Stick with the forum to help you plan a wonderful trip. We've learned so much from all the great people here.

Happy planning!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,947 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airfare to ogg

Those months are slower for tourism in Hawaii . . . I often get some killer flight deals from my area during that time. I would wait until summertime to book personally but some folks don't have any flexibility. Good luck! :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airfare to ogg

What I meant was we are flying out to smf the night before on AA. We'll spend the night at a hotel then catch the ogg flight on Alaska. All I'm saying is that itinerary saved us a couple of thousand dollars.

Level Contributor
389 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airfare to ogg

I would start looking 4-5 months out . There are lots of options out of Chicago.You need to figure a budget for the tickets. They can range 2-3 hundred different depending on routes. Do you want direct. That's Saturday on United. All others will have stops. Out of Chicago I have done direct, 1 stop, 2 stops. I actually liked the 2 stops the best. Chi- Denver - San Jose- Maui.

40 min layovers. Stretch my legs, grab a bite , and onward. Amazing the luggage got there too. And that was $565.00!!! What a deal. Well those are hard to get now. Figure 750-1000 now. Since its a major hub , you really can look at lots of options. Good Luck

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,874 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airfare to ogg

Mookster - Wow! A couple of thousand would be worth it if you have the extra nights to give up from Hawai'i! How many in your group?

Edited: 15 January 2014, 03:07
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: airfare to ogg

We have four. We are taking a late flight out Friday night so that we don't take an extra vacation day from work, then fly out Saturday morning. Cheap hotel room at SMF airport. Actually, we are flying back into SJC. it was a little cheaper that way instead of returning back into SMF. With a little planning, you can find these routings that could save some dough. Be creative, use the multi city option when looking. Even if I could afford the astronomical airfare for the non-stop out of DFW, the timing of it gets into OGG later then if I fly out of California. It's a win win.